Back-up

daveveal

Back-up

Postby daveveal » 10 Mar 2012, 22:30

A few years ago there was a very successful forum like this and one day it went down and all the data was lost.

I know this is very unlikely to happen again :) but can I suggest that someone up there backs up the wealth of info and wisdom that has been built up on this site over the last few years?

It would be such a shame to lose it all...

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Richard

Re: Back-up

Postby Richard » 11 Mar 2012, 12:38

Thanks for the reminder!

After losing all the valuable info in the original web-site (there were detailed instructions on how to prepare your own bio-diesel from chip-fat, for example), I decided to keep backups of these web-pages, which I do every year or so - the last was Nov2010.

Of course, the backup I do (using Wget) just captures the contents of each and every page on the web-site; the text is searchable with a string-search through all the files downloaded, but it wouldn't be possible to recreate the web-site.

The "Way Back Machine" (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php) keeps snapshots of the web-site on a regular basis so it should be possible to view old postings in the correct display format. Now for the incredibly frustrating bit: the original web-site (www.toyotagranvia.co.uk) was archived and it shows the list of threads, but doesn't display the actual postings for me! Checkout the 2008 snapshot here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080203041747/http://www.toyotagranvia.co.uk/forum/index.php?sid=c6c7c54cc3dfb721a2da6e1519285043
and see how far you can get.......

Richard

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 11 Mar 2012, 16:10

Thanks Richard for explaining that and for the work you do.

I've heard before that it's not possible to retrieve the old postings. Is that because they no longer exist or because they are "locked away"?

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Richard

Postby Richard » 11 Mar 2012, 17:54

Dave,

I think we have to assume that all the data in the old web-site is lost. The "toyotagranvia.co.uk" domain is no longer registered and it's unlikely that whoever hosted the web-site will have retained the data this long. If I recall correctly, when Ben set-up this 'replacement' web-site, he enquired about getting access to the old data but was refused.

Richard

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 12 Mar 2012, 13:35

Hi Richard

One of my sons (who knows about these things) tells me it would be best to back-up the database if you have access to it, then the site could be reinstated at any time.

Dave

Richard

Postby Richard » 12 Mar 2012, 15:12

OK, so I've been embarrassed into checking the moderators' Administration Control Panel to see what options are available!

The forum is based on phpBB, a popular package. Yes, there's an option for "Backup" which I've selected and downloaded the 7MB of data. It's in the form of a simple data-base dump with all the SQL commands to recreate the data-base and re-populate all the tables with the data, but obviously only into another copy of phpBB. So, in theory, the forum could be resurrected elsewhere in the unlikely event of some catastophic event (but only up to the date of the latest backup, of course).

I've checked the oldest posts and found the discussion on the attempts to find the data in the old web-site:
http://www.toyota-granvia.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5

Cheers,

Richard

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 12 Mar 2012, 16:53

Thanks Richard

Keep up the good work. It's good to know we've got a guaranteed future this time!

Dave

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 13 Jun 2013, 09:03

I lost the site for a few days.

So glad to get it back!!

Dave

Return to “suggestions”