Drive away awning and silver screens recommendations please.

Comments and questions about commercial and self-built conversions, awnings and the Granvia as a motorcaravan
Nicmaylee

Drive away awning and silver screens recommendations please.

Postby Nicmaylee » 02 Jun 2014, 15:13

Hi all.
Proud new owners of a 1997 high top Granvia (called Gloria!). Imported and converted in 2009, the usual front side kitchen and r&r bed. We bought her last week and would love to get out and about asap so any advice or recommendations on drive away awnings would be much appreciated.
We have a modest budget of around £250 and would like a drive away with a inner tent that can be used as a bit of a toilet/dressing tent (health issue means we must have an emergency porta potti close by!) and of course could be used for occasional guests. Preferably the rest of the awning would give space for a table and chairs, a little away from the inner tent if poss. We have a J rail above the sliding door to fit with a figure of 8 strip. Clip in or sewn in ground sheet is preferable as we have a little escapologist dog! Has anyone got an awning they recommend for the Granvia, or any to avoid?!!!
Also we're struggling to find any thermal silver screens that fit, is there a place that currently sells these? Or a different van size that will fit?
I know these topics were discussed last year but we'd really appreciate any more up to date info.
Thanks,
Nic, Rory, Gloria!

MrDillon

Re: Drive away awning and silver screens recommendations ple

Postby MrDillon » 02 Jun 2014, 23:39

Hi guys

I've got a Traveller annexe drive away awning made by Royale. Fits all the parameters you need, and I paid less than £200 new (via e bay)from a caravan and camping place in Herne Bay, Kent

Have used for 6 years all over the place and still working well

Cheers

MrD

minoltaman

Postby minoltaman » 14 Jun 2014, 14:59

Look at EBay item ID171141590312. They are made by comfort leisure tel 01246 825873. These are external screens which go over the door wind deflectors (Silver Screens in Cleckheaton West Yorkshire do not) also the windscreen part has Velcro so that it can be lowered during the day. At the moment we have internal screens (these can cause condensation on the windscreen) and are looking to buy these as a replacement.

Nicmaylee

Postby Nicmaylee » 30 Jun 2014, 20:04

Bought ourselves a kyham sleeper, with the large 4 berth inner tent. Great awning so far, huge inner tent plus living space for our table/chairs. Thanks for the advice above.
Still needing silver screens so any leads for those would be great.
Thanks all.

V6vanman

Postby V6vanman » 02 Jul 2014, 21:51

You can get a set of silver screens from Wellhouse, the site sponsors.
2000 3.4 V6 Granvia - camper conversion

minoltaman

Postby minoltaman » 02 Jul 2014, 22:44

Yes you can get a set from Wellhouse Leisure but as I said previously these are internal ones. The issues you can have are with condensation on the inside. I find that the windows need wiping down. I prefer screens on the outside so you don't have this issue.

eaglearcher

Postby eaglearcher » 03 Jul 2014, 08:31

Before buying the external Silver Screens just remember that if you have the wind deflectors fitted to your front side windows, the screens will not fit.

minoltaman

Postby minoltaman » 03 Jul 2014, 08:57

The external ones from silver screens Cleckheaton do not fit if you have wind deflectors on the doors. The ones on ebay do fit doors with wind deflectors.

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 06 Jul 2014, 10:40

I found this some time ago. The choice seems very comprehensive!

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113203&highlight=sun%27s

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

daveygeehaa

Postby daveygeehaa » 08 Dec 2014, 14:01

For cheapness, I have made some silver screens out of a thermal "roll mat" available from any camping shop. Theyre a bit tricky to cut, but ok if you make a template from cardboard first. total cost - £15. works a treat and if cut well they wedge nicely into the slight recess around the side windows.

For the front screen Fiamma do a universal motorhome internal screen (around £20)

Problem with external ones is that people could lift them up to see in, or steal them quite easily.
We go to a lot of music festivals, so internal suits us better

Return to “campervans and conversions”