Safety of Swivel Seats - BEWARE!

Comments and questions about commercial and self-built conversions, awnings and the Granvia as a motorcaravan
granviadad

Safety of Swivel Seats - BEWARE!

Postby granviadad » 02 Mar 2018, 13:27

Hi
I have a Granvia 2.7 2014 conversion done by Poplar Motors which includes a swivel seat. Over the last couple of years the seat has become increasingly loose and rocks badly. When I took it apart I was shocked to see that the metal plates had become deformed and the ball bearings had actually embedded dimples into the plate and started to wear ruts into the metal!
I contacted Poplar Motors and Autocraft Motorcaravans who supplied it to Poplar Motors. Neither of them say they have had any problems reported with such a malfunction. I also contacted the manufacturers Frocester Engineering of Somerset who were adamant that there was no design fault and they too had never had any indication of a malfunction.
I have absolutely no reason to think the seat malfunctioned due to an accident or improper use.
I would encourage anyone with a fitted passenger swivel seat to examine it closely to ensure it is functioning absolutely properly. The life of a passenger could be put in serious danger if it is malfunctioning and showing excessive ware
PLEASE CONTACT ME IF HAVE HAD OR ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH SUCH A SEAT.
Please also bear in mind that there are no safetly regulations about the testing of these seats although many of the more modern ones do come with test certifications.

Return to “campervans and conversions”