Tyre Age and Safety

About the Granvia or about whatever....
Viktor

Tyre Age and Safety

Postby Viktor » 20 May 2014, 16:12

I read an interesting article today about tyre safety following a recent fatal coach
crash, where the coroner recommended the introduction of a law regarding the age of
tyres.

Rubber compounds break down and become brittle as they age, so any tyre more than six
years old is getting towards the end of its life. (This is advice from the tyre
industry itself).

There’s a four-digit date code on every tyre made after 1999. It is the last four
digits following the ‘DOT’ marking. The first two of these four numbers identify the
week of manufacture and the last two identify the year. So a tyre with the code
“DOT HB69 287T 2704” on the tyre wall was manufactured in the 27th week of 2004 and is well past it's safe life.

So not only with Caravans and motorhomes the inference is clear.

Any tyre over six years old exposes you to a higher risk of blow out, failure, or puncture from
penetration due to the rubber compounds starting to fail, meaning you are at a higher
risk of an accident.

As tyres may be stored before purchase, if you or an elderly relative has a car, caravan, or motorhome over five years old, or hasn't replaced tyres in the last five years and doesn't travel many miles in a year, then you may have unsafe tyres, regardless of the tread depth!

nephro

Re: Tyre Age and Safety

Postby nephro » 24 Feb 2016, 13:18

After reading this article I checked my tyres and low & behold they were 2007 so 9 years old.

I went to my nearest tyre fitters and ordered a full set of tyres for my granvia with a view to having them fitted tomorrow.

Well I went this morning to have them fitted and there they were waiting for me 4 brand new tyres, but when I checked the dot year it was 20012 so the new tyres are already 4 years old before they are fitted.

Needless to say I told them to forget the fitting and came away. So what can we do about getting this years tyres ?

nephro

Postby nephro » 26 Feb 2016, 21:13

Fixed up now. 4 FIRESTONE VANHAWKES £86-25 a corner from Roundhouse Tyres at Whelley Wigan. Dot code 47/15 so less than 4 months old.
A very good garage and excellent service too.

nephro

Postby nephro » 02 Mar 2016, 18:36

Hi nephro I'm glad that your fixed up and I'll bet your Granvia is running more smooth than ever with 4 new tyres on .

Thanks nephro yes your correct my Granvia is running champion now and I'm glad that I put the 4 new tyres on because it is now so much safer. I think I may be going a little bit mental talking to my self,but what can you do if no body else will talk to you ?

Thanks nephro . Don't mention it nephro see you soon .. TTFN

nephro

Postby nephro » 02 Mar 2016, 18:36

Hi nephro I'm glad that your fixed up and I'll bet your Granvia is running more smooth than ever with 4 new tyres on .

Thanks nephro yes your correct my Granvia is running champion now and I'm glad that I put the 4 new tyres on because it is now so much safer. I think I may be going a little bit mental talking to my self,but what can you do if no body else will talk to you ?

Thanks nephro . Don't mention it nephro see you soon .. TTFN

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 03 Mar 2016, 10:55

FIRESTONE VANHAWKES at £86-25 a corner!

Not bad!

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Xewest

Postby Xewest » 30 Mar 2016, 21:07

This has really shocked me, you would think it would be part of an mot, my front tyres are like new but 2006 and my rears although legal, after researching about tyres and learning about all the information on the side of the tyres are mud and snow tyres with no date on! So can only presume they are pre1999, and to think i drove over 2500 miles in France last year and about to go again, however I have bought 4 pirelli carrier tyres, so I don't need to worry about them for a while.

Return to “general chit chat”