newby

About the Granvia or about whatever....
jack

newby

Postby jack » 28 Jan 2015, 19:42

have been searching for a campervan for yonks, but havejust come across the toyota granvia....
I can't find out that much about them, ie years they were built,and there's not much about reviews on them although what i have read has been v good.

so, can anyone fill me in ? i presume these are not made any more (they were imported from japan , i know that) but i've seen such wildly different prices for campervans of the same year and same spec, so i'm wondering why ?

any background info would be brilliant, thanks

alboy

Re: newby

Postby alboy » 29 Jan 2015, 15:59

Hi, First of all, let me confess I have an ulterior motive in that I have a van for sale.

As far as I am aware the Granvia was made from 1995 until 2002, there were 3 variants a 3lt diesel a 3.4lt petrol & much rarer a 2.7lt petrol which is probably a little underpowered & no more economical than the 3.4. Others may (probably will) disagree, but having driven both the 3.4 & 3lt, In my opinion the petrol is far superior, it is far smoother, quieter & more responsive & despite the fact that the diesel does more miles to the gallon, around 26-28 against the petrol's 22-24 this is offset by petrol being cheaper. The answer is to convert to LPG which then equates to an equivalent mpg of 36-38.

In comparison to the equivalent vans from Mercedes VW Mazda Peugeot etc it really is a quantum leap better, the only other real alternative is the Nissan Elgrand. Having driven some of the so called prestige makes of car I can honestly say the Granvia is on a par & in some cases better than the top makes. In fact as far as I am concerned it just about the nicest vehicle I have driven.

Now for the sales pitch, if you are after a full conversion you can forget mine, but if you want to have a full five seat vehicle you can see more details if you look on my various listings. You are welcome to email or phone me on 02380442363, if you require any more information on my van, or indeed anything else about the van. The only reason I am selling is that I no longer require a camper & it would seem a shame to rip everything out & convert back to a normal day van especially as I have had it re registered as a motor caravan, which enables you to obtain cheaper insurance. I have though, been so impressed with this type of vehicle I am in the process of importing a similar van from Japan.

Regards Alan.

BPeteB
Location: Shropshire - North Wales border. Poplar Motors High Top Conversion 3.0D

Postby BPeteB » 31 Jan 2015, 10:26

Hi, there is a lot of misunderstanding about the extra cost of a camper compared to a standard version.

A basic camper setup without any roof mods will cost from £1,500 upwards just to purchase the kit of parts. Add labour costs then the price shoots up.
If you look at conversion sites ie - Convertyourvan then you will have a rough idea. A decent fridge for instance is £400. Certified R&R bed £700 + upholstery.
There are many roof converters, one permanent roof is very poorly made & sags in the middle. Pop ups I'm not familiar with. The Granvia already has windows & lining which makes it cheaper to convert.
I'm converting a larger van at the moment as my Granvia is too small for my new use. I have spent £4,000 just on parts. If I had used a company for labour then the cost would have almost doubled.

So a decent basic imported Granvia converted to a decent standard with a permanent high roof & well fitted out total cost would be at least 6 to 8 k in parts only. That's what I priced before I bought mine already converted.

Hope this helps.

jack

Postby jack » 31 Jan 2015, 11:19

alboy wrote:Hi, First of all, let me confess I have an ulterior motive in that I have a van for sale.

As far as I am aware the Granvia was made from 1995 until 2002, there were 3 variants a 3lt diesel a 3.4lt petrol & much rarer a 2.7lt petrol which is probably a little underpowered & no more economical than the 3.4. Others may (probably will) disagree, but having driven both the 3.4 & 3lt, In my opinion the petrol is far superior, it is far smoother, quieter & more responsive & despite the fact that the diesel does more miles to the gallon, around 26-28 against the petrol's 22-24 this is offset by petrol being cheaper. The answer is to convert to LPG which then equates to an equivalent mpg of 36-38.

In comparison to the equivalent vans from Mercedes VW Mazda Peugeot etc it really is a quantum leap better, the only other real alternative is the Nissan Elgrand. Having driven some of the so called prestige makes of car I can honestly say the Granvia is on a par & in some cases better than the top makes. In fact as far as I am concerned it just about the nicest vehicle I have driven.

Now for the sales pitch, if you are after a full conversion you can forget mine, but if you want to have a full five seat vehicle you can see more details if you look on my various listings. You are welcome to email or phone me on 02380442363, if you require any more information on my van, or indeed anything else about the van. The only reason I am selling is that I no longer require a camper & it would seem a shame to rip everything out & convert back to a normal day van especially as I have had it re registered as a motor caravan, which enables you to obtain cheaper insurance. I have though, been so impressed with this type of vehicle I am in the process of importing a similar van from Japan.

Regards Alan.

Thanks for that Alan, much appreciated.. I think I'd be wanting a fully converted van, with a pop top for extra sleeping tbh. I spent hours yesterday looking at dozens of campers and then started looking at 4x4's etc and thinking 'tent' .. The reality is, I just don't know yet...I've had a campervan before (VW Bay) so know the crack, but the days of climbing underneath to fettle the pushrods etc are over, but my main problem is I cant' decide whether to have the freedom of driving around in a campervan, or to simply do a long term hire somewhere (like Spain) and drive down in a car using it as a base.. Making my mind up is proving very difficult...not helped by the myriad of choices and high prices of half decent campers....

jack

Postby jack » 31 Jan 2015, 11:24

BPeteB wrote:Hi, there is a lot of misunderstanding about the extra cost of a camper compared to a standard version.

A basic camper setup without any roof mods will cost from £1,500 upwards just to purchase the kit of parts. Add labour costs then the price shoots up.
If you look at conversion sites ie - Convertyourvan then you will have a rough idea. A decent fridge for instance is £400. Certified R&R bed £700 + upholstery.
There are many roof converters, one permanent roof is very poorly made & sags in the middle. Pop ups I'm not familiar with. The Granvia already has windows & lining which makes it cheaper to convert.
I'm converting a larger van at the moment as my Granvia is too small for my new use. I have spent £4,000 just on parts. If I had used a company for labour then the cost would have almost doubled.

So a decent basic imported Granvia converted to a decent standard with a permanent high roof & well fitted out total cost would be at least 6 to 8 k in parts only. That's what I priced before I bought mine already converted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, i think there's a place in Scotland that does a variety of conversions, seem to recall seeing it during my search through hundreds of websites..so buying the 'car' then converting is an option. I just need to clear my head a bit Another concern is that it would be my only vehicle, so would have to be good for local shopping etc as well as long trips.. a lot to ponder...and reading others views and opinions really helps.

V6vanman

Postby V6vanman » 02 Feb 2015, 11:13

Hi,
I have the 3.4 converted to LPG and with elevating roof. It is my everyday vehicle, fits in most car parks (its 2.1 mtrs high) and with Local LPG at 54p a litre is cheap to run.
have a look at the different camper conversions, as they all offer their own variations on a theme! The Granvia was superceeded by the Alphard in 2002, and these are now coming onto the import market in UK.
Try to find someone locally who has one that you can look at, or go to one of the dealers, it will then hopefully give you a better idea of what is on offer. Have fun looking!
2000 3.4 V6 Granvia - camper conversion

Gwsty

Postby Gwsty » 01 Mar 2015, 23:45

You may be interested to know there is an LPG full camper with pop top on Ebay at the moment for 13 1/2K, its in the Bradford.
Otherwise there are a few companies that will hire you a Granvia to try out and then deduct the hire cost if you want to buy one. These hire companies are in South and West Yorkshire area.
Wellhouse Leisure also have several ready done, they might be worth a visit and a serious haggle?
Their focus appears to be the Ford Terrier now.

We have just purchased a 3 Ltr 4WD Granvia, with ourwith the intention to create the ultimate hot air balloon retrieve vehicle, gutted to find Wellhouse stopped doing Granvia conversions. :o

jack

Postby jack » 11 Mar 2015, 11:51

cheers guys...have given myself a break from this to let my head 'settle' a bit...is the Granvia much bigger than a Bongo or a T4.. I see loads of Bongo's advertised but apart from the name (Bongo?) they seem well fitted out..it's just the age (96-99..) and price £8k and mileages 100k...and then reliability and parts..I'd prefer something like a T4 or even a Transit as they have easy supply of parts and I know more about them. It's all about that balance isn't cost-reliability-parts availability and space inside.

I suppose the Toyota has good reputation tho', but the Granvia's are a bit out of my price range..I can't spend much more than £8k and I don't have a garage or workshop to do any works myself unfortunately...more's the pity.. It will also be my main vehicle so height is important as is mpg...

I'll keep ferretting around and reading up...my last camper was a Bay and tbh cost me a bomb in repairs and maint...and fuel...so maybe that explains where I'm getting the caution from...??

Richard

Postby Richard » 11 Mar 2015, 19:39

Yes, the Granvia is a bigger vehicle than a Bongo. The Granvia dimensions can be found here: http://specs.amayama.com/toyota/granvia/

When I was looking for a replacement for my old VW, I eliminated the Bongo immediately when I found it's impossible to walk from the back of the van between the two front seats. The Granvia ticked all the boxes for me and my better half, and we haven't been disappointed. My passenger reports that the front seat is by far the best she's had to ride in on the six hour journeys we regularly make up to Lancashire. Such simple things can make or break one's contentment with having made a good decision......

Return to “general chit chat”