whats the difference between a HiAce and a 1996 Granvia

About the Granvia or about whatever....
ceej

whats the difference between a HiAce and a 1996 Granvia

Postby ceej » 06 Jan 2016, 15:03

Hi

Im looking at buying a 1996 4x4 3L tubo diesel Granvia here in Australia. They are considered grey imports here and not many around. Whe have plenty of Hiaces though. Whats the difference between a Granvia and Hiace? cheers Chris

paulNZ

Re: whats the difference between a HiAce and a 1996 Granvia

Postby paulNZ » 11 Jan 2016, 08:58

I have the same model you have here in NZ.
Most mechanical parts are hiace parts and some of the 4wd parts are hilux parts. Obviously there are some differences in front doors, panels and dash because of the semi bonnet design. My mechanic says that the forward engine makes it quicker and easier to service than a hiace.
Aussie did have the hiace semi bonnet as a Toyota product back in the nineties, and those have the same forward panels and doors as the granvia so wreckers should have some if you need them. Sliding and rear doors are same as hiace.
I have had no difficulty with parts in NZ
Just on a usability front, granvia is much easier to get in and out of because you are not climbing over the front wheels. It is also a bit quieter as you are not sitting on the engine.
The 4wd doesn't have the ground clearance for serious off-roading but traction is pretty good. I have been on sand, mud, ice and snow with no problems. Gravel road driving handles much better than 2wd; I will do up to 80 kph on a good gravel road but wouldn't exceed 60 in my old econovan. I can also go up very steep gravel roads that I couldn't tackle in 2wd.

ceej

Re: whats the difference between a HiAce and a 1996 Granvia

Postby ceej » 27 Feb 2016, 04:52

Hi Thanks Kiwi

I bought the van . I love the torque . I'll take the rear seat out and make it into a stealth urban camper.

Thanks for the info.

It had no service history so I got the cam belt changed straight away, and also spent 390 on a computer issue , it was not starting correctly.

After a couple of weeks I noticed an over heating issue. Mmmm I guess it is an 1996 mod. Looking forward to the winter and not having to put chains on. Thanks Chris

Return to “general chit chat”