Definitive coolant guide?

About the Granvia or about whatever....
Ric220

Definitive coolant guide?

Postby Ric220 » 08 Apr 2016, 18:56

Hi all. It strikes me that, given the cooling of the 3.0 diesel engines is a vitally important and potential weak point of these engines the forum should have a "sticky" How To guide for checking the coolant? I've just spent an hour with a torch and homemade dipsticks and still have no idea whether my coolant level is correct. I can just about see what might be 2 lines near the bottom of the expansion tank which might be upper / lower levels but really have no idea! I've dipped sticks into the tank but can't see what I'm measuring them against! So, would any of the mechanical wizards out there like to post a "how to" thread on the subject? Given Toyota's attention to detail I'm suprised something so fundamental is so hard to assess?! Hope someone cleverer than me can help before I fry my engine! R

Richard

Re: Definitive coolant guide?

Postby Richard » 09 Apr 2016, 08:19

This is a "self-help" forum, so any volunteers?

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 09 Apr 2016, 20:47

let's start by saying "I don't see the problem". when the engine is cold check the level by removing the radiator cap. The coolant should be almost up to the top of the filler neck. The overflow container is there to recover any coolant that is released by the radiator cap when the coolant expands when the engine is hot. As the engine cools coolant that has been passed to the overflow container will be sucked back into the radiator. There is no set amount of coolant that should be in the overflow container, but the end of pipe that runs from the radiator to the overflow container should be immersed in coolant when the engine is cold. Now how do you tell if the pipe is immersed in coolant - well if you remove it and it is immersed the end will be wet and you can see how much coolant is in the container by how much of the pipe is wet.

The above assumes that my diesel Granvia is the same as all the other diesels. The "cooling problems" associated with the Granvia are due to the incorrect type of coolant being used and causing corrosion and localised hot spots in the head which then leads to the cracking and warping of the cylinder head. The recommended coolant is the Toyota Red fluid - can be expensive but a lot cheaper than a new cylinder head. However a premium quality coolant fluid can be used but never top up the coolant level with water when you use one of these coolant fluids.

Ric220

Postby Ric220 » 09 Apr 2016, 20:51

Thanks a lot Mike. Didn't mean to irritate - I just love my Granvia and want to know how to keep it healthy. There's a lot of threads here about the difficulties in measuring the coolant levels so just want to get it right. You've really helped. Cheers, Richard.

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 10 Apr 2016, 11:12

You didn't cause any irritation; enjoy your Granvia I know I will miss mine when it is sold in the near future.

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 10 Apr 2016, 18:37

Mike in France wrote:You didn't cause any irritation; enjoy your Granvia I know I will miss mine when it is sold in the near future.

Sorry to hear that Mike. I hope we shall still benefit from your wisdom in future?

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 10 Apr 2016, 20:25

I originally bought the Granvia at the tail end of 2006 at an auction in Osaka (with the help of an agent) and it was imported and registered in the UK in January 2006. At that time it had a verified 62,000 Kms on the clock. I bought it to use as a “day van” so that my wife and I (and the dog) could have days out here in France. The space the Granvia provided enabled me to cater for the needs of my wife’s health problems, but as luck would have it we did not use it a great deal for days out but it came into its own on Christmas shopping trips back to the UK. However, with my wife now recovering from bowel cancer it gets little use and covers around 5,000 Kms a year including its annual trip back to the UK for the MoT test. As my wife is not up to the journey and I can’t leave her on her own while I go back on my own a friend does the journey for me. So, I have decided the time has come to sell the Granvia but as I have two other cars (a Citroen estate car and a Volvo saloon) I won’t be without transport but I will be sad to see the Granvia go to a new home. However, providing I can arrange to register the car here in France (a long and can be complicated procedure for a vehicle that was never sold as an official import) the Granvia will remain here as part of the "family", much to the delight of my dog who refuses to travel in the Citroen or the Volvo.

Ric220

Postby Ric220 » 10 Apr 2016, 20:31

Sorry to hear about your change in circumstances Mike. Your knowledge has avoided a lot of blank head scratching on my part! I hope your Granvia will remain in the family - even if just for the dog's sake! R

Return to “general chit chat”