Vibration between 30-70 kph while accelerating

About the Granvia or about whatever....
janshim

Vibration between 30-70 kph while accelerating

Postby janshim » 09 Jun 2017, 07:26

This just started recently and yesterday I had the car engine and undercarriage checked for obvious signs of wear, leaks and loose parts. Nothing.

Light vibrations can be felt from the dash, steering wheel to the back of the car in that drive range. Checked the propeller shaft, the bearings looked OK. So lost as to what the source of the problem might be. I have noticed that when I apply more gas (on load) while the car is turning left or right, I can hear metallic scrapping or grinding noise too in addition to the vibration. This is a 96 model (RWD).

Jan

grandad

Re: Vibration between 30-70 kph while accelerating

Postby grandad » 10 Jun 2017, 21:23

It could be a worn out u-joint. Put a large screw driver in the joint and see if there is any play.
It could also be the prop shaft out of balance, by having lost one of the weights.

janshim

Postby janshim » 12 Jun 2017, 01:03

grandad wrote:It could be a worn out u-joint. Put a large screw driver in the joint and see if there is any play.
It could also be the prop shaft out of balance, by having lost one of the weights.

Thanks. In addition, I'm getting "booming" noise/vibration when the car reaches 90-100 km/hr by which the car feels as though it has difficulty accelerating although it isn't really so.

I'm concerned about the prop shaft being out of balance as there's difficult to fix and we have no workshops here capable of balancing one.

grandad

Postby grandad » 12 Jun 2017, 04:13

I take it, it is all speed related, ie getting worse as speed increases.
No vibration in steering wheel?
Is there a noise coming from rear diff? Any oil leaks there?
Am at a loss............maybe time for an experienced mechanic.

stk0708

Postby stk0708 » 18 Jun 2017, 17:04

have you checked wheels and with all nuts ?
Grand Hiace V6 2001

janshim

Postby janshim » 19 Jun 2017, 00:28

I had a workshop take a look at the problem and you wouldn't guess what single item caused all this: the propeller shaft's center support bearing! I've had the front bearing replaced some years back but I don't recall anything this serious when it went bad. Understandably the center piece may be a more crucial item when it comes to balancing the entire shaft. Glad that's sorted — it also fixed a very slight vibration I had noticed years ago when accelerating from stop.

This belong to another top but the one noice that remains persistent is the knocking noise every time one of the front wheels goes over a uneven surface. It isn't a rattle but a dullish knock that resonates up the steering column.

Return to “general chit chat”