A smashing time! (reposted)

About the Granvia or about whatever....
Mike in France

A smashing time! (reposted)

Postby Mike in France » 11 Jul 2017, 21:34

I meant thus post to be in this section but by mistake posted it in the wrong section - so I've reposted it here.

While cutting some grass at the house the other day the mower managed to find a stone and with outstanding accuracy project it towards the barn, where the door was open and in the opening stood my Granvia. The result; a direct hit in the centre of the glass in the back door and broken glass spread over the inside of the Granvia.

It just so happens I was about to advertise the Granvia for sale as I now don't get round to using it very often. I imported it in January 2007 to use a s a "day van" but because of my wife's ill health we never got round to using a great deal except for "Christmas shopping trips" back to the UK. As my wife's health has deteriorated since then so that days out and shopping trips are now out of the question it falls on a friend of mine to do the annual trip back to the UK at MoT time. As I have two other cars I felt it was about time to sell the Granvia as it is little used and I can't really justify the expense of keeping it.

However, with the rear glass needing replacement it is not too saleable, or is it? Before I go ahead and have a new screen shipped from Japan as sourcing a second-hand complete door here in France would be more difficult than finding rocking horse droppings. I have placed an advertisement in the "Buy and Sell" section of the forum to sell the car as it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard

Re: A smashing time! (reposted)

Postby Richard » 12 Jul 2017, 10:21

Mike,

So very sorry to hear of your problems.

I've deleted the original post in the 'How do I?' section.

Richard

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 12 Jul 2017, 14:42

Just a quick update.

I'm now feeling a bit of an idiot because I forgot about the glass cover on my Granvia insurance. Having call the insurance company (AXA) I was told the breakage was covered by the policy and they would send my details to Autoglass France who would be responsible for obtaining and fitting the replacement screen All I will be left with paying is the £75 excess. So, I'm feeling a bit of an idiot but a happy bunny.

My Granvia will go back up for sale once the screen has been replaced, but probably by then will have changed my mind.

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 26 Jul 2017, 20:26

I had a call from Autoglass France (Carglass) to apologise for the delay but their purchasing department has been told that the screen has been ordered from Japan and that there will be a 2 month wait for the screen. The order for the screen was place through Toyota France. Carglass made the comment that it was a pity it wasn't the front screen that needed replacement as the Hiace screen fits (so that's why my windscreen is "E marked). So I now have a temporary plastic screen for the next 2 months but at least it keeps the rain out.

Richard

Postby Richard » 27 Jul 2017, 09:59

Carglass made the comment that it was a pity it wasn't the front screen that needed replacement as the Hiace screen fits.

It may fit, but does it have the brown/grey smoked band across the top of the windscreen?

When Autoglass tried to replace my windscreen a few years ago, they insisted that it be the correct screen for a Granvia so it took months to eventually get a completed replacement due to the first screen being green tinted, the second being too heavily scratched, the third having a botched fitting for the seals but was weatherproof & driveable, but the fourth is still perfect.... I probably used up the entire UK stock of Granvia windscreens! (Fortunately the original fault was just a crack across the passenger's side so the only issue was that it would fail the MoT test due in June, but from starting the process in January it wasn't finally fixed until May.)

Richard

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 27 Jul 2017, 10:47

It was Carglass here in France who mentioned the screen fitting. They had been using the local Toyota dealer to search for the relevant part numbers and were apparently given that information by the dealer. So, I'm hoping that the correct glass appears in 2 months time and it doesn't take much longer as the MoT is due in October and I don't think the temporary plastic rear screen would be acceptable. Anyway, here's hoping I have a little success in getting the replacement fitted.

What I was surprised by was the amount of interest shown in the Granvia by the Carglass depot here and they were not too complementary about the Autoglass International office in the UK telling them it was the same as the Hiace van.

Richard

Postby Richard » 27 Jul 2017, 11:10

...the MoT is due in October and I don't think the temporary plastic rear screen would be acceptable.

Why not? Convertible (soft-top) cars have flimsy plastic for their rear windows!

Richard

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 27 Jul 2017, 12:02

I agree about the "soft-tops" but this plastic looks like industrial strength cling film stuck over where the glass should be. Trouble is I take the Granvia to the "pickiest" testing station I know of (a Toyota main dealer) and I am sure they would pick up on it.

Return to “general chit chat”