Fan belt replacement

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
fh1

Fan belt replacement

Postby fh1 » 09 Dec 2014, 21:08

Hi there, recently with all the bad weather and having to use heater, wipers lights etc constantly, I found after a week my battery was conpletely drained. I have a brand new battery, so I was suprised. I have had the battery checked for voltage and charging etc. It seems to be charging at about 13.7 volts which is probably a bit low. The battery light goes out when the engine is started. I looked at the fan belts and they seem old and a bit slack. I was wondering it now is a good time to change all 3 belts, but am not too sure how to proceed. I have changed loads of fan belts on previos cars but have not come across this type of set up before. It would be false economy not to change the alternator belt and the other shorter belt. Is this fairly straightforward. and is there a certain procedure or things I need to look out for.

MrDillon

Re: Fan belt replacement

Postby MrDillon » 10 Dec 2014, 00:48

Hi there

The duplex drive belts for alternator, and the single one for the Aircon both have a neat adjustment system which does away with the usual way of prying the alternator out to get the right belt tension and then trying to nip the bolts up without it all loosening off again.

Just loosen the top and bottom bolts on the alternator and the single one (combined tensioner and idler pulley) for the Aircon belt. Slacken off the tensioners till the belts are loose enough to be removed - fit the new ones and re- tension the adjusters. tighten the retaining bolts again and job done.

Chech tension after a 1000 miles or so and re-adjust if required

fh1

Postby fh1 » 10 Dec 2014, 08:47

Thanks, that the sort of news I like to hear. One other thing, will I need to remove the air filter box to get to these screws, and do I need to remove the radiator cooling fan to get the main fan belt on, as I will be replacing all 3 belts.

Cheers Frank

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 11 Dec 2014, 01:01

Hi Frank

You can get to the alternator bolts (which only need slackening a tad not fully out) without removing the air box, but the bottom one is a bit fiddly so removing the box (which is simple enough) might make things easier

You don't need to take the fan or top guard off - once the belts are free of their pulleys they will just about clear the fan to be removed

One thing to look out for - I bought the alternator belts as specified in the book at my local car spares shop, but found that they were too short and I had to exchange for the next size up which were 12mm longer. If you can get the number off the old ones that might help especially if buying online.

Cheers

MrD

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 14 Dec 2014, 21:06

I put a post on here a while ago with the part numbers of the belts required, perhaps you can search for it or I can always re-post the information.

bumperman

Postby bumperman » 12 Feb 2018, 15:32

Thanks Mr Dillon.

When you say 'Just loosen the top and bottom bolts on the alternator' the only alternator bolt I can see has the neat adjusting bolt by it,
where are the other bolt/s I need to slacken. It's pretty cramped down there!

Thanks,

bumperman
96 N Granvia 2wd

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 12 Feb 2018, 15:58

It's at the bottom of the alternator and acts as the pivot. It is a bit tucked away but you can get a socket on it. I think it screws directly into the carrier so you don't have to worry about holding the other end

bumperman

Postby bumperman » 14 Feb 2018, 23:55

Thanks Mr Dillon for prompt reply.

I can see enough to confirm that the TOP bolt is the pivot point.
The LOWER bolt is a smaller tension adjuster coupled with a locking bolt.

My problem is that I have slackened all, but the alternator won't move back to fully loosen the belts.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

bumperman

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 16 Feb 2018, 00:11

yes was t'other way round!

If everything is loose it might just be binding in the carrier as its quite a tight fit

some gentle leverage (be careful the'res some fragile vents on it) in a strong place like the pulley might shift it perhaps with some penetrating oil where it sits in the carrier, or a GENTLE tap via a piece of wood

Good Luck
MrD

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 16 Feb 2018, 13:54

As I am no longer a Granvia owner I can't have a look, but I seem to remember the pivot bolt for the alternator is the upper bolt and the lower one is the lock bolt. From memory there is a bolt on the lower side of the alternator that when rotated moves the alternator towards the engine to slacken the belt and away from the engine to tighten the belt. You are not able to move the alternator without using this bolt. Sorry if this sounds a bit vague but it is some time since I adjusted the alternator belts and I don't have the Granvia any more to look at to give a better description. Anyway I hope this helps.

Return to “how do i”