Granvia rear high LED brake lights dim....

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
GranFan

Granvia rear high LED brake lights dim....

Postby GranFan » 25 Jun 2011, 09:24

My rear high level brake lights just failed a wof. Looks like they are $150ea.
Anybody know of a cheap replacement? I don't buy toyota genuine unless there is a gun at my head.
(Or the generic part looks suspect.)

Don't know whether there are any LED array whizz's out there but here goes.
The LED's glow but very dimly.
They are comprised of a 4 series of 19 parallel led's with current limiting resistors and a rectifier diode(?) at the +ve anode.
The rectifier diode reads 5Mohms (approx) one way and open circuit the other. That is has got to be incorrect? Shouldn't be low ohms one way and
open the other?
Your average LED runs at 20mA as far as I understand. The diode looks like a Rectifier, Schottky or zener type with E61 printed on it.
Would be a cheap fix if I just have to replace the diode.
Tomorrow I will try and track down a used one (Light) & check the diode specs, repair mine, and have a backup.

GranFan

Re: Granvia rear high LED brake lights dim....

Postby GranFan » 28 Jun 2011, 10:51

Update:
The diode (not an led) to green/white +ve wire was faulty. For less than a buck you can restore your LED's to their former glory.

zig

Postby zig » 24 Oct 2012, 12:46

GranFan wrote:Update:
The diode (not an led) to green/white +ve wire was faulty. For less than a buck you can restore your LED's to their former glory.

Hello same problem
can you give any further info on the spec of the diode and where I can buy it or an equevelent.
thanks

MorrisCarter

Postby MorrisCarter » 30 Aug 2013, 09:16

GranFan wrote:My rear high level brake lights just failed a wof. Looks like they are $150ea.
Anybody know of a cheap replacement? I don't buy toyota genuine unless there is a gun at my head.

They are comprised of a 4 series of 19 parallel led's with current limiting resistors and a rectifier diode(?) at the +ve anode.
The rectifier diode reads 5Mohms (approx) one way and open circuit the other. That is has got to be incorrect? Shouldn't be low ohms one way and
open the other?
Your average LED runs at 20mA as far as I understand. The diode looks like a Rectifier, Schottky or zener type with E61 printed on it.
Tomorrow I will try and track down a used one (Light) & check the diode specs, repair mine, and have a backup.

hello friend were you able to sort out the issue? I am facing similar issues with my lights so please help me..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 30 Aug 2013, 15:40

Just a thought. Is it a legal requirement?

If not, if you take it off, it doesn't have to work . . .

Then you can fix it or discard it at your leisure.

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

JasonHarvey

Postby JasonHarvey » 21 Sep 2013, 17:44

GranFan wrote:My rear high level brake lights just failed a wof. Looks like they are $150ea.

open the other?

Hello friend were you able to find cheap replacement? I am trying to find high level brake lights so please convey some affordable options?

bongobill

Postby bongobill » 13 Mar 2016, 16:06

I have high level brake light gone. Any one know spec or where to get diode from.thanks

bongobill

Postby bongobill » 13 Mar 2016, 18:53

Hi quick update. Checked over LED strip found LEDs came back to full brightness when I waggled the diode a little. So assuming a dry joint re soldered the diode to the PC board......seems to work fine now!
As all these lights are auto assembled this may be a more common fault than we think. So if you have high level brake light probs re solder the diode to the PC board before you do any thing else.
Hope this helps some one.

Return to “how do i”