odd warning lights on - not charging?

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
MrDillon

odd warning lights on - not charging?

Postby MrDillon » 19 Nov 2011, 15:21

Hi everyone

Just started my 95 2wd 3.0D Granvia after a couple of weeks, and found the following lights stayed on:- low oil level, Diesel filter water trap, T-belt, Battery not charging.

Now all was well last time it was driven, and as it would be a huge coincidence that all these things needed attention at the same time (T-belt light was reset 4000 miles ago) so my first thought was a glitch in the instrument circuits somewhere. However a quick check with a voltmeter appears to show that the battery is indeed not charging - showing 12.3 volts at idle (I reckon this should be more like 13.5) and not increasing with revs.

Before I start poking around the alternator, anybody encountered anything similar to this?

Thanks
MrD

cosmicma

Re: odd warning lights on - not charging?

Postby cosmicma » 20 Nov 2011, 15:26

how long did you wait before you checked battery voltage ?

an obvious thing to check is the alternator belt there should be 2 belts coming from the alternator
first thing i would do is charge the battery and see if the warning lights go out including the battery charge light i know when the battery voltage gets too low the dash warning lights start doing a bit of a song and dance
iv'e just had a problem with charging and this is what i found
when you first start the granvia the charge circuitry doesn't kick in straight away it takes a minute or so you will hear a relay click somewhere around the passenger footwell / dash area and then you should see the the charge voltage rise to around 13.8 volts as it puts charge in the battery
if you find that on tickover it seems to be charging ( 13. 0dd volts ) but as soon as you put your foot on the gas the voltage drops or when you put your foot on the brake the voltage drops more than .2 of a volt it's a good sign the alternator brushes are worn fortunately it's a fairly easy and cheap job to replace them

if after you have charged the battery the battery charge warning light stays on while the engine is running i would say the regulator on the alternator is faulty and would need replacing

to get the alternator off is quite easy if you take the air filter box out first you'll also find that the wiring going to the alternator can be undone from the top of the engine just above the alternator
if you follow the wires back from the alternator the 3 wires got to a small terminal block and right next to that is a black plastic block where the main wire is terminated with a 10mm nut n bolt ( within the black plastic block )
there's only 2 bolts holding the alternator in place which are easy to reach once the air filter box is out of the way

once you have the alternator in your hand watch this vid to show how to replace bushes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5BYV5Oy0w
it's in japanese but it doesn't matter the alternator has the same brushes / regulator as the granvia so the removal - replacement is the same
the brushes cost about a tenner

so... if the charge light goes out when the engine is running but not supplying enough current/voltage to keep the battery in a good state of charge it would be the brushes
if the charge light stays on with engine running i would say it's gonna be the regulator or both
check alternator belt isn't snapped
check for a voltage on one of the three wires that go to the terminal block ( can't remember which one ) one of the wires should have +12 when the ignition is switched and should show 0 when ignition is off

i'm betting it's the brushes good luck.....

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 20 Nov 2011, 18:40

Thanks Cosmicma

Belts in good shape - recently changed and correct tension. I checked the voltage after the motor had been running for a while, so I think the result is accurate.

Battery is huge, and holds a charge fine (spins the motor fast after weeks of not using)

Warning light stays on regardless of revs. I have the alternator ready to remove (had to go out and it's dark now!), and my first thought was to have a look at the brushes and slip ring as you describe.

Any other ideas on why the other yellow warning lights are on too? - I vaguely remember a post on here describing something similar, but can't find it now. Battery voltage is still 12v + so I don't think it's a low voltage issue.

Many Thanks
MrD

cosmicma

Postby cosmicma » 20 Nov 2011, 23:44

i had a problem with a toyota lucida where the warning lights would stay on when the engine was running and that was down to the alternator not charging
i think if you cure your charging problem the warning lights will go out
a fully charged battery would be 13.2 volts and when the engine is running 13.8 volts is whats being produced by the alternator so 12+ might not be enough i do know that before i changed the brushes we was coming back from york at night with the lights on etc.. and when the battery was getting pretty flat quite a few of the warning lights came on but as soon as i put some charge back into the battery they all went off again

what i'm trying to say is the alternator has to be working to make all the warning lights go out not just the battery warning light

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 21 Nov 2011, 00:05

Thanks again Cosmicma

I think you're right - sort out the charging issues first and see what happens to the other lights!

Will keep y'all posted

MrD

Richard

Postby Richard » 21 Nov 2011, 10:13

How about this simple test?: with a battery charger charging the battery (and with the battery near full-charge so that there's >13v at the battery terminals), switch on the ignition and see which dashboard lights illuminate. The battery charger effectively replaces a fully-functional alternator.

[I've attached battery chargers to my Granvia and even started it with the chargers still powered-on without any apparent ill-effect (when I was having problems with my battery discharging when left for several weeks).]

Richard

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 21 Nov 2011, 22:33

Thanks Richard

I'll give that a try. One of my mechanic friens suggested giving the alternator a little whack, as if they haven't been run for a while the brushes can stick - that sounds like my sort of fix!

Cheers
MrD

MrDillon

Postby MrDillon » 03 Dec 2011, 19:45

Hello peeps

Well t'was the alternator alright, but not the brushes or regulator. dropped it in to a good electrics place and he found that the rotor was knackered. Actually it was so rusty and rotten, that he asked if the vehicle had ever been underwater! Not in my time with it was the answer, so we reckoned that when not on a mission, it's left standing for a week or two, and then does a smallish local run of about 15 miles that the alternator stays quite cool and any dampness not get dissipated properly - leading to corrosion. He reckoned a spray of WD40 now and again wouldn't hurt but should be kept away from the brushes area (towards the back end)

Anyway new rotor was £45 - half hour labour, so total inc VAT £75 - so no more than a breakers unit which might have been as bad, and now my one's had a strip down and a pretty thorough health check, I can have total confidence in it.

Fitted it back on today, all the silly lights not showing any more, and all is well again

I dare say quite a few peeps leave their Granvias standing for prolonged periods so I'll post a warning on the other board too

Richard

Postby Richard » 10 Dec 2012, 15:50

I've had my alternator fail (battery, oil-level & fuel-filter warning lights illuminated at 1000rpm but extinguished at higher rpm, then over the course of the next hour of driving, the rpm steadily rose to get the warning lights to extinuish until it was over 3000rpm; battery nearly flat and after a battery recharge, a multimeter shows no increase in voltage at the battery terminals when the engine is started or revved).

Can anyone suggest sources for replacement alternator brushes and/or rotor? Assuming I can get the alternator out, of course....

Richard

cosmicma

Postby cosmicma » 10 Dec 2012, 18:17

unfortunately i live at the other end of the country to you but the place i bought my brushes from was called Jeffs autos in bolton

Jeff's Auto Electrics
30-36, Bury Old Road
BL2 2BZ
Bolton (Greater Manchester)
Main phone: 01204 394582

if you give them the alternator type they might be able to post them

mine was a Nipon Denso 3R12
27 06 0-67040
10 12 11 - 5630

these are the numbers i have written down from my alternator i would think yours should be the same type

good luck...

Return to “how do i”