Single rear seat to double swap?

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
pendlewizard

Single rear seat to double swap?

Postby pendlewizard » 16 May 2012, 22:49

Hi,
I have a seven seat Granvia which I use as my works van and weekend vehicle. As I have taken the rear bench seat out to gain extra rear room it only leaves me with four seats.
Is it possible to buy a double rear seat from the eight seater and fit it in place of the single seat thus giving me five seats?
Any advise will be much appreciated thank you.

jocklinden

Re: Single rear seat to double swap?

Postby jocklinden » 17 May 2012, 16:57

I dont know the answer to your question but if you look down the board index to this site there is a section that says Wellhouse parts.If you click on that there is a reference to them removing about 130 sets of rear seats a year from 7 and 8 seat Granvias.I would give Wellhouse Leisure a ring as they should be able to give you the answer and may even be able to supply you with any bits you need to do the job.

pendlewizard

Postby pendlewizard » 17 May 2012, 18:52

Thank you for that, I might just give them a ring.

jocklinden

Postby jocklinden » 18 May 2012, 22:05

Hi,
I have just noticed an answer of sorts to your question on page 2 of this how do I? section.If you scroll down you will see a heading that says change seating arrangement from 7 to 8 seater,hope you get sorted.

pendlewizard

Postby pendlewizard » 19 May 2012, 00:09

Hi,
no joy with Wellhouse I am afraid, I phoned but the Lady I spoke to said it isn't really something they would know about. I did mention the website and how they had taken out 130 sets of seats but she said I might be better trying somebody else!
Slightly disappointing!!!!

Richard

Postby Richard » 19 May 2012, 08:45

The discussion back in January (http://www.toyota-granvia.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1158) didn't shed much light on the problem of swapping seats between the G-spec (8-seater) and the Q-spec (7-seater) versions of the Granvia.

As the owner of a Q-spec, my *guess* is that to replace the middle-row of two seats in the 7-seater to get three seats (with safety belts), you'd have to install both the twin-seat and the single seat from the middle-row of the 8-seater. But without knowledge of the width of the G-spec seats and critically what floor tracks are in the G-spec, that really is only a guess! The Q-spec 7-seater uses four tracks for the middle row of seats; how many tracks are there in the G-spec 8-seater and what is the spacing between them?

Richard

bartek108

Postby bartek108 » 14 Mar 2018, 02:49

Few years passed after the last post, i would like to ask if anyone successfully tried to swap the seats?

Hario

Postby Hario » 19 Mar 2018, 15:13

i havent, but think it very likley that the seat bases will be the same allowing the matched seat pairs to switch. (like is say, i havent actually done the swap so this is just my guesswork)

i say matched because i dont think the left hand q spec single seat will fit next to the double, except perhaps if the armrest were removed

this is from an ebay ad with pics of the seats Image

Pdjm43

Postby Pdjm43 » 22 Mar 2018, 21:46

I've done this swap. I have a 7 seater and an 8 seater.
I can't remember if the rails are different or not (don't think they are, the new van ones where full of sticky sweets), but I swapped mine over anyway because I cut them all the same length because I don't have the rear most seat installed. This means I could fit an mdf floor in the back section , like a boot.

The floor pan has what look like centre punched marks where both configurations fit.
There's one place where a ballpein hammer is needed to knock down the ridge profile for the rail foot.
There's no captive nuts for the rail to move to, so I used big spreader plates under the floor when bolting down.
There's a couple of fixings that can't be accessed due to a box section by the rear axle, but I didn't feel this compromised the strength of the rail.
If I did I would have welded new tabs on the rail somewhere accessible.

Edit.
You'll also need the carpet from the 8 seater.

Edit2.
I also refitted the whole 7 seater interior into my old 8 seater van.

Return to “how do i”