Screetching windscreen wiper linkage

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Raffy

Screetching windscreen wiper linkage

Postby Raffy » 07 Jan 2013, 16:03

Hi folks,
First of all a Happy New year to you all !.
Right, I've got a 1996 3.0d Granvia camper conversion, 68k miles, more often than not I get an annoying screetching whenever the windscreen wipers are on...its definately not the wipers themselves as I've switched them off with the wipers off the glass...noise isn;t coming from the motor so I presume its the wiper mechanism needing some lubrication. Anyone had something similar ? If it is the linkage can I remove the plastic venting panel just below the windscreen easily enough (unclicking the seals etc )?. All advice always much appreciated !
cheers
D

kjgs

Re: Screetching windscreen wiper linkage

Postby kjgs » 09 Jan 2013, 22:47

Hi. We had the exact same on ours . Someone brought it back and said it had been screeching all week!

All I did was remove the wiper arms , scuttle panel thingmy and thoroughly lubricated the mechanism arms. Good thing to do is mark the arms on in relation to the splines before reMoval . Doesn't take a lot of time to do and it's only a spanner and one or two screwdrivers to remove and refit. Good luck!

Raffy

Postby Raffy » 10 Jan 2013, 17:13

Great, thanks for the reply mate...probably a daft question but how do I remove the wiper arms without damage ? I havn't had a proper look at them as yet but just thought I;d ask before I get stuck in ! :D

kjgs

Postby kjgs » 10 Jan 2013, 23:46

I used a two leg puller to loosen mine off but I'm sure they will come off without this. Water pump pliers or even a shifter or spanner wedged underneath carefully should remove them easily enough. Just take your time and make sure you aren't just trying to force one side!

Keep us informed!

Raffy

Postby Raffy » 11 Jan 2013, 10:06

Cheers mate, I'll have a play this weekend...I've only got a basic toolkit so I'll have to make do with spanners, rags and foul language ! Failing that the van is due a service over the next or two so I'll ask my friendly mechanic to have a look
Thanks again
D

kjgs

Postby kjgs » 11 Jan 2013, 22:35

No bother ! Good luck !

Raffy

Postby Raffy » 29 Mar 2013, 16:28

Hi folks, finally got round to looking at my noisy wipers..removed the arms no bother and the plastic scuttle cover thingy..sprayed the linkage with wd40, lithium spray grease then bog standard grease...still no joy ! Still screeching from the drivers side..driving me bonkers...any suggestions welcome...I really don't want to take it apart...
Cheers in advance

Raffy

Postby Raffy » 02 Apr 2013, 16:47

Well after dosing the wiper 'peg' with penetrating oil the screethcing has gone away...I think the peg on which the linkage connects to had just dried out over the years...while that's good news the linkage does make a thump at each stroke, again I think the bushes are maybe showing their age..anyone else suffer from this ?

Cookie

Postby Cookie » 15 Jan 2014, 17:32

Had the same problem thanks for the help all sorted bit of WD40 and Grease all is quiet again :D cracking forum so much info

BillyWobbleDagger

Postby BillyWobbleDagger » 06 May 2018, 11:00

We have the same screeching from the passenger side wiper. Can any one tell me which wiper the motor is attached to or do they both have motors. Will try spraying the linkage later this weekend.
If I need a new wiper motor, any recommendations for a good online site to buy from.

Many thanks
BWD

Return to “how do i”