Knocking noise

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Vegantreeman

Knocking noise

Postby Vegantreeman » 11 Nov 2008, 20:33

I am glad that this forum has appeared - the old one was a gold mine of useful info and friendly advice!

My 4WD Granvia has gradually developed a knocking noise underneath. It sounds quite heavy and when driving I think it comes from under my feet - but passengers hear it elswhere. It only happens on taking up drive - setting off uphill or a quick pull out of a junction. It is two or three knocks - like a gear slipping or a loose mounting causing a part to bounce under initial torque loading.

The gear box mounting was obviously knackered and has been replaced and so has the offside top ball joint.

The garage think it may be in the drivetrain. They have checked the drive flanges in each front hub - some slight play but not slipping. They have checked the oil in all the casings - all clean with no swarf.

The front propshaft is quite new, having been replaced by Toyota under the safety recall. (If yours hasn't been done take it to a main dealer and they will replace it for free!)

If anyone has any ideas or previous experience of this knocking noise and any assoiated fault - please let me know - it is driving me and now the garage nuts!
Steve Parker

Active Rhythmology - http://www.ActiveRhythmology.co.uk

If your heart is beating you are ready to be... rhythmologised!

Gavin

Re: Knocking noise

Postby Gavin » 12 Nov 2008, 00:41

rear diff mount? or have they messed up the replacement driveshaft...... take back and say it didnt do this before you changed lol

Vegantreeman

Postby Vegantreeman » 12 Nov 2008, 12:45

I have just had a phone call from the garage. Driving gently on their ramp without the rear propshaft makes the noise - so it is not the rear diff mount. With the rear propshaft and without the front one - no knocking and hardly any drive. They are now convinced that it is the viscous coupling in the transfer box.

Internal part from Toyota - £900+, whole box from BBC Spares - £225 plus VAT. So BBC win again. With luck I might be back on the road on Friday!

The front propshaft was replaced a year or two ago so I don't think I can blame the main dealer.
Steve Parker

AndyCole

Postby AndyCole » 14 Nov 2008, 13:15

What is the safety recall mentioned earlier regarding the front propshaft? I have just imported my 4WD Granvia and have no idea if this would have been done. Would Toyota hold a record of it?

Vegantreeman

Postby Vegantreeman » 24 Feb 2009, 19:10

Sorry to keep you waiting - It is a while since I visited!

The front propshaft on the four wheel drive version had a problem with the type of grease used and so suffered early wear to the universal joints.

Having found out about it through the old forum I hassled my local Toyota dealer and Toyota UK until they agreed to replace the shaft under warranty. They said mine was the first they did, but now they have the info on their system they will do any.

It is a safety recall so there is no charge, but as the UK was not the intended market for these vehicles you have to contact Toyota - they will not chase you to offer the work.
Steve Parker

jonesy

Postby jonesy » 09 Feb 2011, 18:30

Hi,

Our granvia has also developed this loud knocking noise!

I've replaced one of the front drive shafts as the splines on the flange had some play in them but the noise is still there; before we go ahead and replace the other drive shafts I wondered if the transfer box was the problem.

How did you get on with yours? Was it the transfer box in the end?

Have contacted Toyota UK about getting the front propshaft replaced too so thanks for that info. I also found out that the cooling system also has a recall as one of the caps is not as heat tolerant as it should be along with a few other recalls for the Granvia (not relevant to our model) on the following link: http://www.dogandlemon.com/safety/recalls/jp/toyota/granvia

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice you could give.

crazydave

Postby crazydave » 12 Apr 2011, 15:25

a friends granvia 4x4 developed a knocking noise when engaging drive also when the vehicle changed into 2nd gear so i ordered new front diff mounts,changed them today ,the rear mount on the front diff was worn out completly this was the problem now the granvia is lovely & no more clunks :D
Last edited by crazydave on 12 Apr 2011, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy

Postby jonesy » 12 Apr 2011, 17:02

Toyota UK are saying that our Granvia is not covered by the recall (even though our vin number is within the recalled vin no's!) and are unable to find out from Japan why this is the case.

Only option now is to find a mechanic who will do the work once we've sourced the prop shaft and the transfer box (hopefully BBC will have them) and hope that this will fix the knocking noise.

Don't you just love owning an import?!

johnali1997

Postby johnali1997 » 23 Jun 2014, 22:44

Mine does exactly the same. I've been told it's the drive chain inside the transfer box. The chains stretched and jumps on the cogs, common for transfer boxes apparently. I'm taking mine out ,cos they cost £500, and locking my centre diff to convert it to 2wd. I'll let you know how it goes.

edward

Postby edward » 20 Nov 2014, 11:10

Mine also had a loud knocking noise. We changed the transfer box and my grandvia is running smooth again. Hope this info will help. Thanks.

Return to “how do i”