How to disable the reversing beeper

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Richard

How to disable the reversing beeper

Postby Richard » 04 Oct 2013, 15:11

If you find that the device that beeps continuously whenever reverse gear is engaged annoys you, then here's how to stop it!

These instructions refer to a 1995 Q-spec Granvia with the "electronic" instrument panel.

There's a beeper attached to the back of the instrument panel which emits a regular loud beep - it's the round black plastic component (about 10mm diameter) half-buried within the instrument panel housing shown near the bottom of the photo below. There's a hole in the top of the plastic shell of the beeper.

You can either break the beeper by ramming something sharp into the hole to silence it completely, or cover the hole in the shell of the beeper (I used a small piece of self-adhesive label but insulation tape or a blob of acrylic/silicone sealant will also do the job) to mute the beeper to a less intrusive noise. The beeper is soldered onto a circuit board but unsoldering it is impractical without disassembling the instrument panel housing.

Granvia_reversing_beeper.jpg
photo of the back of the instrument panel
Granvia_reversing_beeper.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 4682 times

To gain access to the back of the instrument panel:
1. Remove the screw below the top of the dashboard to free the instrument panel surround.
2. Remove the four screws which retain the instrument panel.
3. Gently pull the instrument panel forward and ease it past the steering wheel. (The steering wheel must be in the straight-ahead position and tilted fully downwards.) The three cable connectors can be detached to allow better access to the back of the instrument panel.
4. The beeper is in the base of the instrument panel housing, on a level with the trip mileometer reset button.

Re-assembly is the reverse process.

With thanks to "DonJ" for pioneering the task. Note, silencing or muting the reverse beeper has no effect on the warning chimes for leaving the sidelights on or the key in the ignition lock.

Chris74

Re: How to disable the reversing beeper

Postby Chris74 » 28 Mar 2015, 02:37

I did this same job shortly after buying my van, '96 3.0lt.
There is no need to stab it with a screwdriver or tape it up.
It is simply easy to twist out of its socket, sort of a bayonet fitting.
Peace in my van now and I can hear the reversing sensor beeper properly that the last owner sensibly fitted.

Timg

Postby Timg » 28 Mar 2015, 22:33

Thanks Chris74; I took mine out today. Dead easy to do and as you say, it just unclips from the circuit board.

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 19 Jun 2015, 09:55

Hi.

Can anyone who has done this mod tell me if it disables the sliding door closing beep?

It's really embarrassing in the middle of the night on a campsite!

Thanks,

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Timg

Postby Timg » 19 Jun 2015, 12:05

Sorry I can't tell you as I have a manual door with no beeper

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 19 Jun 2015, 12:31

Timg wrote:Sorry I can't tell you as I have a manual door with no beeper

Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Acehi41

Postby Acehi41 » 01 Jan 2016, 13:09

Went to remove my beeper today but the dash appears to be different than your photo so was unable to find the peeper.
My vehicle is a 97 Regius with the optitron dash does anyone know where the beeper is hidden.

Paul.

P.S. Think I have just found it on the Regius site, photo looks the same as my dash posted by dandywarhol.
Will remove my dash again and take another look.

Acehi41

Postby Acehi41 » 09 Jan 2016, 18:25

Well I have had another look at my instrument cluster and it appears that the beeper is deep inside and probably soldered on to the circuit board, as I don't want to attempt taking it apart without knowing how I have now refitted it. If anyone has taken one of these electronic Optitron instrument panels apart please could you give me some guidance.

Paul.

Return to “how do i”