Quick (?) servicing questions...

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Ric220

Quick (?) servicing questions...

Postby Ric220 » 01 Jun 2017, 10:53

Hi. I'm going to attempt to replace my '96 3.0 4x4 complete exhaust on Sunday and change all filters while I'm at it. I'm a novice (doing the exhaust myself purely to save cash) so can I just ask;

Where's the drain plug for the engine oil (I read a horror story somewhere where the gearbox oil plug was accidentally removed instead of the engine oil and the van was subsequently driven with no gearbox oil)? I was going to add a flushing liquid 24hrs beforehand as it's very overdue an oil change - does that sound sensible?

Where's the fuel filter and any specific tips re changing it?

I'm assuming the air filter is pretty straightforward swap?

Thanks all - I've searched for the above but the search engine prevents such generic questions!

Richard

Re: Quick (?) servicing questions...

Postby Richard » 01 Jun 2017, 12:10

Where's the drain plug for the engine oil (I read a horror story somewhere where the gearbox oil plug was accidentally removed instead of the engine oil and the van was subsequently driven with no gearbox oil)?

Yup, if you look under the vehicle from the side it's all too easy to assume that big drain plug is the drain for the engine oil and start to unscrew it - I know, I've done it! If what comes out is red or or brown fluid, get the plug back in quick! Then find the thread on the forum on how to top-up the gearbox ATF oil and discover just what a mess you've got yourself into - refilling is really slow & difficult. The trick is to approach the underneath of the engine from the front, ie from under the front bumper and work rearwards. The engine oil drain plug is at the back of the crankcase oil-pan - the drain plug is angled at 45degrees, so if the drain plug you're looking at is screwed in vertically, you're NOT looking at the engine drain plug. [This applies to the 1KZTE diesel engine].

See the diagrams in the parts list to get an idea of the layout, for example:
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/parts?c=Toyota&ssd=%24HQwdcgIGAQIGDEg0JSFafUNCc3FBeDRVWA%24&vid=124058&gid=10591

I was going to add a flushing liquid 24hrs beforehand as it's very overdue an oil change - does that sound sensible?

I wouldn't bother, unless you know the current engine oil is not a modern multigrade oil which have detergents in them. If you're worried about the engine oil being heavily loaded with contaminants, then just do another oil change in a few months time. I only change my engine oil and the filter annually, but my annual mileage is low. (Wear vinyl gloves and safety specs in case of splashes - that old oil is nasty stuff and needs to be disposed of responsibly.)

Where's the fuel filter?

Between the engine block and the nearside wheel arch.

I'm assuming the air filter is pretty straightforward swap?

Yes, a five minute job - definitely the easiest so it's unfortunate that all the other filters are the ones that need replacing more frequently!

You may find the oil filter is difficult to unscrew - I found I couldn't use a strap or chain wrench because access was too restricted; I had to use a special 'claw' wrench to fit on the underneath of the filter. Nowadays, I make sure I don't overtighten the filter housing when refitting.

I've searched for the above but the search engine prevents such generic questions

Hint: use an internet search engine (eg Google) adding a restriction to the specific web-site "www.toyota-granvia.co.uk" - it works for me!

Good luck!

Richard

Ric220

Postby Ric220 » 01 Jun 2017, 12:18

Many thanks Richard! Really useful suggestions. Do I need to clamp off the fuel lines when changing fuel filter or is it more straightforward than that? Thanks again.

Richard

Postby Richard » 01 Jun 2017, 12:30

Do I need to clamp off the fuel lines when changing fuel filter?

I can't give a definite answer on that - I can't remember!

If the feed line from the fuel tank is not clamped, then the fuel in the line may drain back into the tank so that the engine will have to be cranked until the fuel pump can refill the line and the fuel filter so that the engine can start. Or laboriously operate the manual priming pump on the filter housing. But there may be a non-return valve, I just don't know.

Ric220

Postby Ric220 » 01 Jun 2017, 14:29

No problem. I'll let you know how I get on! Thanks again.

Richard

Postby Richard » 01 Jun 2017, 15:23

Sorry, I should have added a warning when changing the air filter: the sensors for the incoming air which ultimately allow the ECU to deliver the correct amount of fuel to the engine have a reputation for fagility. Take great care when handling all the wiring attached to the air hoses and housings and don't touch the sensors themselves otherwise you'll need to clean them. (Helpful discussion on problems with air intake sensors on this and the Regius forum.)

Return to “how do i”