drivers electric seat that only moves on oneside? I called BBC spares and.

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Didofido

drivers electric seat that only moves on oneside? I called BBC spares and.

Postby Didofido » 13 Jul 2017, 11:02

Hi has anyone manually fixed a drivers seat that only moves back on one side? BBC spares said you can't order the plastic cog anymore. Only way to fix is to by a manual seat?

Pdjm43

Re: drivers electric seat that only moves on oneside? I called BBC spares and.

Postby Pdjm43 » 22 Jul 2017, 11:56

I'm about to swap my front seats for swivel ones, my drivers is electric and works.

Robst

Re: drivers electric seat that only moves on oneside? I called BBC spares and.

Postby Robst » 30 Dec 2017, 11:53

The plastic gear is available from the USA. I'm awaiting arrival of one. I found a youtube site which showed how to change it/where to get it from.
The Company in the US is www.cruiserparts.net. The gear is listed as a front power seat track gear for a '93 Toyota Supra. I had to hunt around the site to find it. $19 but Postage to the UK brings it to around $50.

The gear arrived and I pressed the old one off the gearbox shaft using a vice and a socket. Pressed the new one on with a bit of superglue.
cleaned off the old sticky grease, relubed the gearbox and reassembled everything. It works! I think I will only move the seat while I'm not sitting on it though. :D

If you look at another site, the GlobalStore, there is a really good description of how to fit the replacement gear onto the gearbox shaft etc.
Toyota picked a complicated way of doing a simple job of moving the seat, but I suppose all the 'bells and whistles' are what sells nowadays. If the gear fix doesn't last, I'm looking at putting sprockets on the 2 seat adjusting screws and linking them with a chain.

Return to “how do i”