Good Vibrations?

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Ric220

Good Vibrations?

Postby Ric220 » 20 Aug 2017, 18:04

Hi all. My '96 3.0 is starting to show its age with arthritic suspension creaks and a mildly incontinent engine. But, my main worries are;

It's developed a loud vibration / buzz / rumble at 70mph. It's quite scary. It ONLY occurs on a very light throttle at 70 and if I ease off or accelerate it vanishes. I feel it through the steering wheel. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Secondly, a screeching, rattling sound has developed from the engine when starting cold and at low speeds. It doesn't sound like a slipping belt - more like bearings.

Finally, there's a "clunk" when going from neutral to reverse (and a slight one going from neutral to drive). I'm hoping this isn't the gearbox?

I'd really appreciate any comments re the above, especially ones involving solutions that cost £2.50 and a couple of cable ties... Many thanks all.

Robst

Re: Good Vibrations?

Postby Robst » 30 Dec 2017, 11:49

Vibration at 70 could be wheel balance related.
Screech could be belt to alternator is worn/slack
Clunk on transmission could be loose propshaft or worn propshaft joints.
Good to check those before it gets expensive! Happy New Year!

Ric220

Re: Good Vibrations?

Postby Ric220 » 30 Dec 2017, 12:48

Thanks for responding Rob. Vibration turned out to be tracking, screech disappeared on it's own and clunk was front prop shaft which eventually broke at great expense! Still, all sorted now. Cheers.

Return to “how do i”