Can I drive my 4x4 temporarily as 2wd?

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
Ric220

Can I drive my 4x4 temporarily as 2wd?

Postby Ric220 » 25 Sep 2017, 17:12

Hi. I'm REALLY struggling to find a front prop shaft for my '96 4x4 Granvia after mine snapped at the UJ. Have tried everywhere including BBC Spares. I desperately need to get mobile and I wondered whether I can drive it as it is for a couple of weeks? I know in the long term it's a no-no but how about short term? Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks a lot.

Richard

Re: Can I drive my 4x4 temporarily as 2wd?

Postby Richard » 25 Sep 2017, 18:42

Don't drive it with just one disconnected drive shaft! If you apply torque to just one front wheel, the effect on the steering could be dangerous. Certainly, if you had an accident, your insurance company would have an easy option to decline any claim.

Having only a 2wd Granvia, I'm not familiar with what would be the effect on the transfer-gearbox of disconnecting the drive to the front axle (or removing the remaining front half-shaft). There must be plenty of advice available on converting a 4wd Toyota to 2wd....

Ric220

Postby Ric220 » 25 Sep 2017, 19:44

Thanks for responding Richard. It's the transfer box to front differential prop shaft that's bust, not a drive shaft. I'm wondering whether I can get the broken prop repaired given it's the UJ pin that's broken rather than the shaft itself. I'm guessing it will need balancing again - does anyone know?

jarmmo

Postby jarmmo » 28 Oct 2017, 10:35

Hello Ric
Try these people, they will repair your own propshaft for you or make you a new one.
http://www.firowpropshafts.co.uk/

Regards Jarmmo

jarmmo

Postby jarmmo » 29 Oct 2017, 08:07

Hi Ric
If it is just the U/J that is broken it is not too difficult to fit another but you will need to watch a video on utube to see how it is done if you have never done one before, but you will need a vice, hammer, sockets, grease and internal circlip pliers to carry out the job, and the U/J of course.

Try this link to help look up your parts, just put in your chassis number where it asks for frame number.
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/pick?c=Toyota&model=GRANVIA&ssd=%24Wl05CwY%24

Ric220

Postby Ric220 » 30 Oct 2017, 20:27

Thanks all for your replies. Mark at BBC Spares was brilliant in tracking down a used one even though it turns out they're like hens teeth! All fitted and normality has resumed.

Pdjm43

Postby Pdjm43 » 01 Nov 2017, 22:06

I know this information doesn't help now, but....

The front axle is always driven and the rear axle is driven via a viscous coupler, which has to 'warm up' before acting.
This makes the two 4x4 Granvias that I have basically mostly front wheel drive, this may be due to age of the vehicle though, both mine are over 100k miles.
I took the front prop shaft off to see if it would drive and I had to floor the van in drive before the viscous coupler would engage, I managed to 'lock' it up for a couple of days before it released and you sit somewhere revving until it locks again with the required heat.

I have converted both my vans to rear wheel drive due to front 'axle' spline wear noise, by welding the viscous couplings and removing all the components forward of the transfer box.

Return to “how do i”