Timing control Valve

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
jarmmo

Timing control Valve

Postby jarmmo » 20 Jan 2018, 15:32

Hi All
Has anybody had to change the timing control valve yet, I think that mine has failed, started up with loud knocking, engine management lamp came on and went into limp mode. Can you just unbolt it from the injector pump and bolt a new one on or is it an injector pump removal and strip down? I have checked the resistance at the two terminals and there is none where there should be between 9 and 14 ohms.

jarmmo

Re: Timing control Valve

Postby jarmmo » 03 Feb 2018, 12:34

I have now changed the TCV but to no avail, HELP!!!

jarmmo

Postby jarmmo » 24 Feb 2018, 17:45

Hi All

Started car up about 4 weeks ago and it was knocking its head off for about ten seconds, drove to work in it but the engine management light came on and it went into limp mode, my diagnostic code reader would not communicate with the car so I had to do some old fashioned diagnostics, the knocking was certainly a diesel knock and happened on all four cylinders at the same time so I thought it must be some kind of automatic timing issue, I read the manual on the forum and discovered that there was a timing control valve on the bottom of the injector pump which I changed but to no avail but I then discovered the two wires shorting out against each other just before they enter the valve plug. I bought a tester that would read the Granvia that told me fault code P1220-Timing control valve circuit malfunction so I traced and tested the wires to the ECU I needed the pin numbers to trace them into the ECU but that was before I traced them manually, there is a burnt out resistor in the TCV circuit inside the ECU. Son in Law is an electronics engineer and he replaced the burnt out resistor and hey presto it worked and Granvia up and running again properly. :lol: :lol:

Acehi41

Postby Acehi41 » 25 Feb 2018, 07:41

Good job you have a Son-in-law that knows what he's doing.

Paul.

jarmmo

Postby jarmmo » 25 Feb 2018, 08:46

Hi Paul
Absolutely, the part only cost £3.00 as well. :D

Jarmmo

Return to “how do i”