brake light bulb replacement

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
brydon

brake light bulb replacement

Postby brydon » 10 Mar 2009, 00:41

Hi all, just encountered this one today. The rear door mounted brake light bulbs (two on each side of the rear door) can be tricky to replace, especially the outer ones. To replace the inner bulbs requires the loosening of the lower part and side of the door liner. there is a plastic screw on the bottom corner of the liner. this needs to be loosened and removed. A plastic spatula or similar can then be used to pop out the other fasteners. After that the plastic lining sheet needs to be pulled gently away. (mucky job due to the tarry mastic that secures the sheet.) The inner of the two bulbs can be accessed by the dextrous through an opening in the metal pressing. An anti clockwise twist will free the mounting and there should be just enough wiring to withdraw it. To replace the outer bulb requires the removal of the whole light. this can be easily broken - as I found out.

There are no obvious fasteners inside the door, however, if you locate the upper inner corner of the reversing light lens then feel in the same place inside the door there is a hole in the metal pressing. A long 10mm Socket will locate on a nut. when this is unscrewed and withdrawn a plastic spatula or similare need to be eased between the outermost edge of the plastic light housing and the steel of the door. This will release a lug at the upper edge of the housing. Once this is released the housing needs to be gently tilted top edge out away from the door and then moved slightly towards the edge of the door. this gets the little bolt which is molded into a plastic extension off the reverse light moulding safely out from under the registration plate. the bulbs can now be easily accessed.

Hope this is handy.

DeluryG

Re: brake light bulb replacement

Postby DeluryG » 15 Mar 2009, 00:50

Thanks for that can I just say at this point even a Toyota workshop I contacted did not have a clue as to how to replace these lamps Toyotas Worthing may be I should not mention that but however thanks again.

brydon

Postby brydon » 18 Mar 2009, 00:35

Great to know that this has proved useful to you!

gm8zero

Postby gm8zero » 13 May 2010, 15:30

Hi,
I need to tackle this job soon using the advice above and wonder if anyone knows the lamp type required so that I can be fully prepared once I have stripped it all out?

TIA

alpem1948

Postby alpem1948 » 13 May 2010, 21:35

standard stop tail/try seamus ebay member you get 10 for £2.75 [motaquip ireland].
part 566 on his ebay shop.
have fun ,i found it fairly srtaightforward just hav a 10 mm box spanner ready and when you take of the nut ,push the thread part up till clear of the hole and the fitting pushes out
then get ur spatula under outside edge of light casing and push towards the center of the door and it lifts out inwards /you will see what i mean.

gm8zero

Postby gm8zero » 14 May 2010, 14:27

Thanks Alpem,
It didn't occur to me that the tailgate lamps would be combined stop/tail lamps.........for some reason, and I don't know why, I thought they would have been tail lights only :?

I have already had a quick peek behind the door card and it doesn't look like anybody has been in there before as the plastic sheet & sealant haven't been touched.........only 14 years life from a single bulb.........and no doubt Toyota will say it's out of warranty :)

Your advice is noted and appreciated.

Thanks

tazzi

Postby tazzi » 20 May 2010, 06:03

Thank you very much, tried replacing reversing light and was worried about snapping fittings, but now I'll manage. Brilliant

SSGranvia

Postby SSGranvia » 23 Oct 2010, 14:49

Thanks for posting the method. I just replaced both bulbs in cluster of my '95 model and it would have taken much longer than it did without seeing your post first. I would like to add to help others that the clip on the outer edge of the cluster on my model would not budge. I found it was a long rectangular cube moulded into the cluster and pushed through the skin of the door, (its about 3/4" long and 1/4"square). The cube has got clips on all four sides. I had to work inside the door with a piece of stiff bent wire to push each of these clips back whilst maintaining some leverage on the cluster. I suppose it might have come out without doing this if I levered hard enough but the clip or cluster may have broke. Another thing I found was that the foam rubber seal around the cluster was torn, so I recommend you have some sealant or a new seal to hand if you have an old model like mine.

Glasgowmad

Postby Glasgowmad » 19 Nov 2011, 00:19

Just done the job. Followed your plan Thanks. hard to get the cluster back in but these things always are

Can any one tell me were to buy front fog bulbs cant find them anywhere .. strange shape

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 19 Nov 2011, 22:08

I think the fog lamp bulbs are standard H3 55W bulbs. Not many cars use these bulbs but they should be available at any motor factor, maybe even Halfords.

Return to “how do i”