brake light bulb replacement

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia
brydon

Re: brake light bulb replacement

Postby brydon » 19 Nov 2011, 23:18

Really satisfying to see that my humble submission is proving useful to so many people! Will post more tips if I come up with any more. Thankfully the Granvia continues to run extremely well.

Glasgowmad

Postby Glasgowmad » 21 Nov 2011, 23:05

Not H3 as they are dual pin not cable link. have to get from japanese importer

Glasgowmad

Postby Glasgowmad » 21 Nov 2011, 23:07

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/photo/288_thumb_JAP1-1.jpg

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 22 Nov 2011, 08:05

Sorry for any confusion but the front fog lights on my Granvia have H3 bulbs fitted and it came from Japan like this.

Richard

Postby Richard » 22 Nov 2011, 09:46

Mine are standard H3 bulbs too!
When I tested the fog-lamps last year prior to the Granvia's MoT and found a failed bulb, I replaced it with an H3 bulb cannibalised from an old Lucas fog-light purchased in 1974! Pairs of H3 bulbs are available on ebay for £4 or so.

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 22 Nov 2011, 14:42

The Toyota part number for the fog lamp bulb for Granvias with the fog lamp that is integral with the main headlamp unit is 90981-13041 which is a standard 12V 55W H3 bulb. Later model Granvias with separate fog lamps use a different bulb but it is the same bulb as is used in a number of European specification Toyotas such as the Yaris, Corolla, Prius and Lexus IS,LS and GS series.

Glasgowmad

Postby Glasgowmad » 22 Nov 2011, 22:49

Not a h3 or a euro bulb, they are japan only, for the granvia cursing selection v6 1997.

ambassadeur7000

Postby ambassadeur7000 » 20 Mar 2013, 00:46

Thanks very much for your help, rather a convoluted way to change a bulb , hope i don't have to do this on the road !! Thanks again Bernie

Bigfla

Re: brake light bulb replacement (making it easier)

Postby Bigfla » 04 Feb 2018, 00:40

The instruction above requires struggling under the door card. Here's an easier way and a mod that makes it a breeze next time.

Note there are 2 fixings for the lamp cluster, an M6 stud at the inner end and a jack pin (ie like an audio jack plug) at the outer end.

You will need, a Pozidrive screwdriver, 10mm deep socket, stiff blade to pry off the door card and the lamp cluster, new bulbs, spare door card plastic retaining pins (even if you do this the harder way...) - and for the mod, a long 6 mm drill or spade bit , a hole saw or spade bit bigger than the diameter of a 10 mm deep socket and grommets to fit the holes you're going to cut in the door card (if it matters to you!)

1. Open the rear door.
2. Remove the door card completely - struggling underneath it is the hard way!
- One screw in each corner + one in the middle at the top (might be under little covers if they're still there!)
- Pry the card off from the edges with a stiff blade to pop the clips at the edge, then ease the rest away (collect those that fall off and note which break - happens even with the "struggle" method),
- Remove and discard the plastic sheet if it's still there as the vehicle is now so old the sheet is only a nuisance (clean up the mucky mastic with brake cleaner or thinners).
3. Locate the M6 stud (10mm zinc plated flanged nut accessible through a round hole) that holds the inner end of the cluster,
4. Push the door fully open so if the nut falls you don't lose it inside the door,
5. Undo the nut with a 10mm deep socket,
6. Push the M6 stud back through the hole as far as it will go without breaking anything,
7. Find the gap between black plastic outside end of the cluster and the edge of door itself.
8. Insert the blade and pry the cluster away to release the jack pin,
9. Roll the cluster away around the bottom edge.
10. Replace the bulbs (not necessary to disconnect the wiring, unless you're going to do the mod...)
11. Reassembly is the reverse....ensure all the plastic pins that fix the door card are in place (replace damaged ones) ...but..

Here's the mod to make it like it should have been from the factory!

1. Disconnect the lamp clusters from the wiring loom, making sure you leave a decent tail,
2. On the inside, make sure any wiring near the holes for the M6 stud is well clear (you're going to drill holes in the door card...)
3. Replace any damaged pins in the door card than re-install it.
4. Working from the outside, locate the elongated holes for the cluster's M6 studs in the door metalwork,
5. Centring on these holes, drill 6 mm holes through the door card,
6. Use the hole saw or spade bit (I used a 22mm spade bit) to open up these 6mm holes (see 2. above), and de-burr the holes so the M6 nuts are accessible without removing the door card!
7. Fit the clusters from the outside of the door, don't forget reconnect the wiring...and fit the grommets in the new holes in the door card.

Next time you need to change a bulb, remove a grommet and hey presto!

I hope this helps.

Return to “how do i”