Adrian Flux ripoff

Questions about insurance, paper work, how to import and that type of thing
truckdriver4roads

Adrian Flux ripoff

Postby truckdriver4roads » 13 Dec 2011, 09:47

If you are insured with Adrian Flux or are considering doing so, a word of caution. This company operates an automatic renewal service whether you agree to it or not. I have just been debited by them even though I am not insured with them this year and even went to the trouble to ask them to take me off a list of automatic insuring that I hadn't wanted or agreed to. Anywhere else it would be called theft. Adrian Flux call it a mistake which, no doubt will take me ages to sort out and leave me out of pocket for some considerable time. Anyone else had a similar experience with Adrian Flux or another insurance company?

Mike in France

Re: Adrian Flux ripoff

Postby Mike in France » 18 Dec 2011, 14:36

I have used Adrian Flux in the past with no problem but I do admit to not using them to insure my Granvia as I got more competitive quotes from other brokers. It is interesting to note that the Toyota Owners Club insurance scheme is operated by Adrian Flux and offers a 15% discount to club members. I have no idea how competitive the club scheme is as I'm not a member of that club.

A number of insurers and brokers now operate a continuous insurance scheme to reflect the changes in legislation that now require vehicles to be insured continuously unless subject to certain exceptions.

truckdriver4roads

Postby truckdriver4roads » 19 Dec 2011, 08:29

I have also used Adrian Flux previously with no problems. This continous renewal scheme is new to me this year. I told them a month before renewing - I had an insurance renewal due letter which informed me of the automatic renewal - that I wanted the automatic renewal stopped because I would be changing the policy anyway. I got a better quote and rang Flux, as a courtesy to tell they hadn't got the business this yeat and also to get them to confirm that no money would be automatically taken off my debit card. After 5 minutes of waiting, whilst "confirming with accounts", I was told this would not happen. It had already happened 3 days previously, by my bank statement. They were asked twice not to take money but they still did. I am still waiting for a refund.

gettinold

Postby gettinold » 28 Dec 2011, 23:39

Hi there,
I'm a newbie, having visited the site as I'm looking for info prior to buying my 1st Granvia.However, read your Flux post and felt compelled to reply.
Was insured with Adrian Flux some years ago. When I rang for a quote and called back to process my new policy, I used an 0800 number ( or equivent of c.1999! ) - no queueing on the phone, polite staff, etc, etc. Had to ring some 3 montrhs later to initiate a change of car. Rang 0800 no. as before, was inploitely told to hang up and call the national rate no as I wasn't a NEW customer! This was 12 yrs ago - i still remember that it was hours and not minutes that I spent on hold! 9 months or so later and the renewal premium ( this was for a Mini! ) was out of this world. I have vowed NEVER to do business again with this lot.
Fast forward to last year. Confused.com quoted me a fantastic premium on my Mondeo with, erm, Swinton.
Knowing full well who I was dealing with, i went ahead. No problems over the following 12 months (Apart from the one I'll detail below... ). Then came the renewal...

BEWARE OF SWINTON INSURANCE. I worked for these many years ago and we used to pull the exact stunt. i think its within the AIB's code of practice that insurers give you 4 weeks notice of your renewal premium. Swinton gave me 6 days BUT backdated the renewal notice by 3 weeks! Head Office gave me a quote in writing and the local branch did the same - both arrived 6 days before the renewal date. both differed by about £30. Both premuims went up over £300 in 12 months and both had an alternative qute that was HIGHER than the renewal. The local branch then sent me 2 letters in 2 days chasing me up for a decision!!
I rang them to say I was going elsewhere as their service was dismal and Tesco were £280 cheaper. Swinton run a CASHBACK scam ...sorry....scheme. You pay the ridiculously high premium, in 3 monmths or so, you get a cheque. In my case it would've been, erm, £300! Funny, eh?
Went into my local branch to get my NCB proof and the manager was amazed that I didn't want to renew on this scheme! She couldn't / wouldn't tell me what the scam was ( tax? ) - got extremely nasty when I pointed out that the Tesco price she'd 'beaten' by a whole 20 quid included euro breakdown with homestar, overnight accom, courtesy car, etc, etc, all the stuff I'd 'forgotten' to mention!! Refused to give my NCB proof - saying she didnt have it - I refused to leave as I knew she had the ability to print it out there and then!!!

I might've sidetracked a little there - but if anyone of the forum considers Swinton then i hope i've convinced you otherwiser BTW - look up Swinton's cashback scheme on Martin lewis's MoneySavingExpert site....

Back to the flux issue - Swinton also auto renew and their other scam is if you paid the previous years policy on a monthly DD basis, they do this on a 10 monthly basis. On the 11 month they start taking the payments for the renweal BEFORE you even agree to renew or in my case ( and in many others?! ) before you have received a renewal notice?!

Now I got the bank to claim back via. the Direct Debit gaurantee system. I don't know what rights you have with a Debit Card - but surely you have some recourse here? Ask your Bank. I received my refund overnight - something else that really annoyed the nice lady at Swinton!!

Hope you get somewhere. Try MoneySavingexpert's superb forum - I suspect you'll find an existing thread re Debit card refund or even an Adrian Flux thread!! If not - start a thread and you'll receive some great advice.

Good luck.
Paul.

cosmicma

Postby cosmicma » 30 Dec 2011, 16:57

iv'e been with swinton for car insurance ( not the granvia ) for the last 3 years or so and they have tried the cash back scam each year and each year i tell them i don't want it and it gets removed from the policy
i think the cash back is to do with interest as i pay monthly DD an extra 300 quid on the policy regardless of giving it me in 3 months time would bang the monthly interest payments up
it's a con either way they bang the policy up by 300 quid charge the interest on the full amount then give you back 300 quid as a gift but you are still paying the interest on the full amount until the end of the policy

i basically tell them if the cash back is not withdrawn i will go elsewhere

gettinold

Postby gettinold » 30 Dec 2011, 17:25

I'm struggling to get a decent quote for a Granvia and as Swinton have a local branch it'd be ideal to talk face-to-face with someone - but I'd rather jump off a tall building.
The other point I forgot to mention...some chav ran a key/screwdriver down my Mondeo. Rang Swinton's "24 hour" claim helpine for some advice as wasn't sure if it was worthwhile claiming/ This was at 6pm on a Friday. The operator said she'd have to take a message as all the staff had gone home!!!
Was put on hold for a mo - without my knowledge she then transferred me to EuropAssist who then wanted to recover my 'damaged' car to a compund to await an assessment and did I want a courtesy car??!!!!

Explained it was a just a scratch!! She STILL wanted to get my car towed in! Why?! Can only assume they'd have charged Sun alliance a fortune to do so and Swinton would be in for a cut.

Surfice to say - I neer did claim. BUT - SINCE THIS EVENT I AM PLAGUED WITH THOSE ANNOYING ' YOU COULD BE ENTITLED TO £3750....' TEXTS. THANK YOU SWINTON.

Return to “insurance, paper work and importing”