LHD Headlights

Questions about insurance, paper work, how to import and that type of thing
balcon

LHD Headlights

Postby balcon » 24 Feb 2012, 18:19

I want to re register my Granvia onto Spanish plates but I have read that the granvia was only made for the Japanese market who are righthand drive as U.K.
If this is true I will have a problem converting my headlights to lefthand drive, does anybody know if this is true. Thanks Ian

Mike in France

Re: LHD Headlights

Postby Mike in France » 24 Feb 2012, 21:10

As far as I know, but am prepared to be corrected, the headlights are unique to the Granvia and so are not available for lefthand drive. The headlights of the Hiace Powervan look similar but I don't know if they would fit the Granvia.

balcon

Postby balcon » 26 Feb 2012, 15:02

I have been making some enquiries re Granvia and Hiace headlights, I think you are correct, the headlights are the same, the Hiace come in left and righthand drive versions whereas the Granvia only comes in righthand drive only, I can confirm this later when I have actualy changed them over,thanks for your info. Regards Ian

balcon

Postby balcon » 10 Mar 2012, 11:47

Granvia headlights are the same as the Hiace and the hiace headlights do come in left or righthand drive, therefor any body wanting to transfer there registration to Europe need to change headlights for the I.T.V (MOT)

Grisham

Postby Grisham » 26 Jul 2012, 18:56

We are going to take our Granvia to France permanently this autumn and need to get LHD headlamps. It is a 1998 Granvia.
It looks like we need a set of the Toyota Hi-Ace headlamps 1995-2005 LHD. They show on the Headlamp Shop web site.
Can anyone confirm this please?
Also let me know of a cheaper source if you know of one.

Also our Granvia has been fitted with a camper conversion. Has anyone had any experience importing one of these into France please?

Many thanks for any help.

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 26 Jul 2012, 22:33

Have you seen this post? http://www.toyota-granvia.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1291

Maybe he flipped the picture... :mrgreen:

Mike in France is your man, I think.
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 27 Jul 2012, 12:26

Hello Graham and welcome to the forum.

I have put together a few notes you may find useful and I have also sent you a personal message.

Having imported 17 cars into the UK (from the USA, Japan, and the EU) and 3 into France so my comments here have been gained through personal experience.

Converting to LHD would be far less of a problem than registering a Granvia in France.

If you have a European supplied vehicle the registration is a relatively easy process; for a vehicle that was originally supplied to a market outside the EU the problems start for real. If the car is a “grey” inport fron Japan but was also sold in France then it is more difficult but not impossible. For a car like the Granvia again it is not impossible but the cost of going through the registration process may be prohibitive. The Granvia will be required to undergo the equivilent of the UK single vehicle approval process, but whereas there are a number of testing stations around the UK there is only one in France and that is on the outskirts of Paris. The test is far more complex and sreicter that the UK test and costs around 3000 Euros depending on the car being tested. The test includes emission and noise tests and tests to ensure that all the technical details of the car comply to current French legislation.

Some difficulties you may encounter with the Granvia are:-

Lights

The headlights will need to be changed for LHD lights and I believe the appropriate Powervan lights can be used but you will lose the integral fog lights and you will need to fit additional foglights in order to pass the test. All the external lights must carry an “E” mark which means all the external lights must be changed including the front side lights, indicators and side repeater lights, and the rear light clusters. This will present a problem with the red lights in the rear door as they cannot just be disconnected as the test requires that if the are fitted they must work and be “E” marked. So it would appear that you will need to change the rear door to the van type door.

Glass

Again all the window glass must be “E” marked. My Granvia has “E” marked glass in the windscreen, front door windows and the rear door, but the side window glass is not “E” marked so will need to be changed to the glass fron the European minibus version. The two sunroofs will also need to be changed to have “E” marked glass but I do not know if this is avaiable from another Toyota model

Seat belts

All the seat belts in the car must also carry an “E” marks and so will also need changing.

Campervan conversion.

Here I have no direct experience but you will need a certificate of conformity fron the concern who carried out the conversion to confirn that the seat belts and anchorages confirm to the european requirements. The gas and electrical installations will also need to be inspected separately by the French authorities but this inspection will be carried out “locally”

Grisham

Postby Grisham » 27 Jul 2012, 23:22

Hi Mike,

Thank you for all the information on importing a Granvia. It certainly looks like an expensive undertaking and maybe we'll have to give it a think as to what we want to do with the van.
Unfortunately we bought it before making the decision to make the move to France.

Thank you again

Mike in France

Postby Mike in France » 28 Jul 2012, 11:02

Graham, check your private messages. I have sent you one that outlines other alternatives.

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 28 Jul 2012, 11:46

Could you not leave it registered and insured in the UK?

You would have to return once a year for the MOT and could buy some more Marmite at the same time. :mrgreen:
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Return to “insurance, paper work and importing”