Good Quote

Questions about insurance, paper work, how to import and that type of thing
Binky

Good Quote

Postby Binky » 22 Feb 2013, 21:18

Hi everyone

I am new to this site, and do not own a Granvia as yet, but hopefully within the next few months.

As I have been doing alot of research into the costs of ownership, insurance costs are high on the list so I thought I would share the good, the bad and the ugly with you all.

The ugly being Adrian Flux who quoted £760.00 (also the advisor kept asking for a reg number, and I kept replying, saying I have not bought a vehicle yet).

The bad was my own insurance company being Admiral, which was around the £600.00 mark, I also enquired about the Estima which as you know has a 2.2 D and they quoted exactly the same price, I thought engine size mattered.

The good, or should I say the very good! was toyota.co.uk/insurance at £460.00.
In the which magazine insurance chart they are rated at number five out of thirty seven and the ugly is not even listed.

My area is East of London, the county where most young people talk like they text.

Hope this info, sorry information helps others.

BPeteB
Location: Shropshire - North Wales border. Poplar Motors High Top Conversion 3.0D

Re: Good Quote

Postby BPeteB » 22 Feb 2013, 23:10

Hi Binky, it really does pay to shop around as I changed from a 2.0D car to a 3.0D Granvia camper conversion & paid a little extra. This year through either the Caravan or Camping & Caravan Club I'm paying under £200. Yes a camper is cheaper but some of the quotes from the so called Granvia friendly company's were over £350 for the same cover. I also changed from one of the two mentioned to the other on renewal as like all company's they upped the price on renewal.
Hope you end up OK with a great but fuel thirsty machine.

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 23 Feb 2013, 17:56

Thanks Binky. That's really useful ... or it will be in June!

Those prices differ greatly. What no claims do you have?

Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

Mort

Postby Mort » 24 Feb 2013, 13:21

Regarding Caravan Club Insurance, the 'assumptions' that appear at the start of a quote state that;

■The vehicle has been manufactured in a country within the European Union

Surely this means thay do not provide cover for the Granvia?

BPeteB
Location: Shropshire - North Wales border. Poplar Motors High Top Conversion 3.0D

Postby BPeteB » 25 Feb 2013, 14:22

Hi Mort,
My original insurance was with The Camping & Caravan Club & vehicle was classed as Imported as well as campervan on DVLA docs. I have just confirmed with Richard a manager with Caravan Club Insurance who confirmed that I am covered ok. They do not cover imported CARS & possibly non professional camper conversions unless on DVLA etc.
I guess from this that a standard Granvia isn't insurable through one or other of these company's & a non professional conversion might be a problem.
Thanks for pointing this out & I hope it is of help to others.

Return to “insurance, paper work and importing”