Alloy Wheels

Questions about insurance, paper work, how to import and that type of thing
Mort

Alloy Wheels

Postby Mort » 07 Mar 2013, 17:22

I needed to arrange insurance prior to collecting my new Granvia a couple of weeks ago - best quote was from Fluxdirect @ £240.

However, I didn't declare that the van was fitted with alloys.

I've just informed Fluxdirect and had to pay an additional £48 :o

truckdriver4roads

Re: Alloy Wheels

Postby truckdriver4roads » 08 Mar 2013, 08:21

I am surprised. You say you didn't declare? The question is; Did they ask? I have insured with Flux and others and was never asked if my vehicle was fitted with alloys. I have been asked if it was modified. So long as the alloys are standard or suitable for the vehicle there should be question of paying extra for them. I feel you are being ripped off. I don't use Flux anymore because they tried to charge me extra after the final price had been set. I challenged it and they backed down. I should write to the MD and ask why you were charged extra. He has to reply and you may find you get a refund.

Mort

Postby Mort » 08 Mar 2013, 11:06

truckdriver4roads wrote:I am surprised. You say you didn't declare? The question is; Did they ask? I have insured with Flux and others and was never asked if my vehicle was fitted with alloys. I have been asked if it was modified. So long as the alloys are standard or suitable for the vehicle there should be question of paying extra for them. I feel you are being ripped off. I don't use Flux anymore because they tried to charge me extra after the final price had been set. I challenged it and they backed down. I should write to the MD and ask why you were charged extra. He has to reply and you may find you get a refund.

They did ask the standard "is the vehicle modified?" question to which I answered "No". At this point I hadn't actually seen the vehicle - I was lining up a quote to take up after I'd inspected & agreed a price on the vehicle.
When I got the Granvia home and had a good look over, I realised that the wheels were non-standard because of the tyre size (225/55/17) - the alloys aren't flash-looking things so it hadn't really registered that they were non-standard.

It's at this point I thought I'd better run it by Flux. I was put 'on hold' while they spoke to the underwriter. They said the wheels were considered a modification & that the extra premium needed to be paid.

I'm pretty certain that if I'd declared the 'modification' up front, the premium would still have been £240. But on balance, the total fully comp premium of just under £300 is still pretty good as I've zero no claims and live in a high-risk area, and it's still cheaper than the other quotes I got. I also think it's hard to argue that the wheels aren't a mod given the 17" size?

brianrkeighley

Postby brianrkeighley » 07 Apr 2013, 18:10

Hi Mort,
I have a hi-top Granvia camper, 2.7L 2WD. Bought from Poplar Motors and David suggested a few insurers - I'd read some bad reviews about Flux - so tried IC (Insurance Choice) - got fully comp for me, wife, daughter and son for just over 300. There was not hard sell and very easy to deal with. Put me better quotes in for the Mini and household insurance - so we've got 3 policies with them.

Mort

Postby Mort » 07 Apr 2013, 18:41

Hi Brian, mines a Poplar conversion as well. I will be shopping around for insurance next year & will give IC a try.

Did yours come with alloys & if so did you declare them to IC?

brianrkeighley

Postby brianrkeighley » 07 Apr 2013, 23:45

I've never known alloys to be classed as a modification - engine mods, would be a yes - as would suspension mods .... alloys - no.

Mort

Postby Mort » 08 Apr 2013, 08:44

brianrkeighley wrote:I've never known alloys to be classed as a modification - engine mods, would be a yes - as would suspension mods .... alloys - no.

Brian, I think you'd be surprised at the number of things that insurers deem to be modifications - it isn't just performance enhancements that are considererd to be mods - alloys, towbars, luggage racks, parking sensors, have a look at this;

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/car-insurance/car-modifications/prweb2264804.htm

If you do have alloys and they're bigger than the original 15" then you might be invalidating your insurance by not declaring them - regardless of your own opinion as to whether they are a modification or not. To be honest, even if they are 15" it's probably a good idea to let them know.

Glasgowmad

Postby Glasgowmad » 17 Apr 2013, 22:29

SPEED WARNING ????

bigger wheels may give you an inaccurate speedo reading ( I AM NO EXPERT ) but got caught out once. if you up the wheel size and drop the ratio you may balance things out eg. a 205/70r15 could match 205/65/r18 ..205/60/r19 .. cant remember the exact sum if you drop 5 or 10 or what.

if you get done they wont let you off for wheel size..

Also bigger and especially wider wheels can push greater forces on suspension and steering assemblies, i have had problems there too before..

may be best just to ebay the nice ones you got and buy some stock 15" s .. sure you wont loose much and will gain peace of mind

Richard

Postby Richard » 18 Apr 2013, 09:05

Quite right! Changing the sizes of the wheels and/or tyres WILL alter the gear ratios and affect the speedometer reading. We covered this topic in another thread some years ago.

To check what difference changing the tyre size will have, take a look at this web-site: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I understand that it is assumed that speedometers can be up to 10% inaccurate and that speed-checks allow for this, so it's unlikely you'll be stopped for driving at 33mph in a 30mph limit. But bigger tyres can easily exceed 10% greater circumference, so checking the true speed against the speedometer is essential.

Mort

Postby Mort » 18 Apr 2013, 16:07

My 17" wheels make the speedo spot-on against my GPS which I'm pleased about.

Return to “insurance, paper work and importing”