Importing a Grand Hiace direct from Japan

Questions about insurance, paper work, how to import and that type of thing
stk0708

Re: Importing a Grand Hiace direct from Japan Part 1

Postby stk0708 » 19 Dec 2014, 23:43

David,

What are Autorec 's terms of sale ? Did they give you any warranty ?

Stef
Grand Hiace V6 2001

Rugbyman

Postby Rugbyman » 20 Dec 2014, 12:41

Hi . Stef,

In reply to your question, Autorec do give a limited warranty on engine and transmission (most exporters do not) and although it is only three weeks or 1000 miles from the day the boat lands, this should be enough to find out any major faults. They do a full servicing and cleaning and I can only speak from personal experience but my car was in exceptional condition. I "Googled" their site to death (including Google Earth to see where they were and what it looked like) before deciding to use them and everything looked first class. They do not simply act as an agency but the cars belong to them before being exported and their garage facilities look clean, spacious and professional. Their attention to detail is exceptional. The Japanese lady who dealt with me (Ms. Etsuko Iwakami) was incredibly helpful and efficient and gave me confidence that the process would be successful.

If you are interested. check out their site, Autorec Enterprises, Japan and you will find a very detailed list of all of their services. I found the hardest decision was to actually order something by simply seeing pictures and trusting somebody's word but then I thought, I do that all the time through eBay and such, so why not take a chance. As an aside, all of the interest and fun I have had has been worth what I paid for the car and I would do it again tomorrow.

If you need any further help or advice please ask, I am happy to share what information I have.

David

stk0708

Postby stk0708 » 21 Dec 2014, 09:14

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

Comparing with other people experience you story is just too pretty to be real :oops: :o or you are very lucky man :D .

Stef
Grand Hiace V6 2001

Rugbyman

Postby Rugbyman » 21 Dec 2014, 10:55

Well Stef, in August 2012 I was given 2-3 days to live, as I was so ill.....................I am obviously still here, so perhaps I am a very lucky man (or a very determined one)!!!

Everything I've said about the import process is true but remember, I paid a huge amount of attention to detail during the process, checking and double checking everything before I made a move.............and of course, I still might have made a bad choice, only time will tell. However, perhaps because of my illness situation, I was prepared to take a risk with whatever time I was granted ! Remember, everything in life is a gamble.

I wish you the best in any decision you make.....................happy Xmas to you and yours.

David

Rugbyman

Re: Importing a Grand Hiace direct from Japan

Postby Rugbyman » 26 Jan 2015, 11:34

Hello Stef, it looks like some parts of our messaging have got lost in the system but I'll carry on and try and answer your questions. Sorry that Autorec have nothing at the moment but their stock changes on a daily basis. You can also try a company called BeForward but the quality of their cars seems not as good.

Regarding ports, the Japanese selling companies offer a choice of ports, including Southampton. The price will vary according to the port of delivery,

Customs......a thorny issue....you can go online with HMRC and try and register with NOVA, which is the Customs computerised import system. I tried, but did not succeed in completing my application because I am not VAT registered (the Customs people tell me that this shouldn't stop me registering but I couldn't see a way around it...probably my lack of computer skills). Anyway, I had to make a MANUAL application using a form C 384.which I downloaded, completed and sent to nchcie@hrmc.gsi.gov.uk. If you do that, they will guide you from there on. Southampton still uses the old MANUAL system for car imports, so there should be no problem. Regarding using Import Agents, I tried to avoid the cost of this and track the shipping myself via Internet but, because the car transporter transferred my car to another ship in Belgium, I had no choice but to pay to get the information from an agent (around £70-£80).

Hope this helps, if you run into problems, I will try to help.

David

stk0708

Postby stk0708 » 26 Jan 2015, 11:40

Thank you David a lot.
It clears my doubts up.
Grand Hiace V6 2001

stk0708

Postby stk0708 » 26 Feb 2015, 15:25

Rugbyman wrote:....you can go online with HMRC and try and register with NOVA, which is the Customs computerised import system. I tried, but did not succeed in completing my application because I am not VAT registered (the Customs people tell me that this shouldn't stop me registering but I couldn't see a way around it...probably my lack of computer skills).

David,

I have investigated NOVA issue and what I found :
1. You have to have an existing account for online government services what is easy to create on
http://www.gateway.gov.uk/ website.

2. Manuals point that you have to go the follow way :
https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/home -> Your HMRC services -> Services you can add -> Notification of Vehicle Arrivals
what is wrong as you need to take "Services you can use" instead of "Services you can add".

3. Anyway it would not be useful in your case.
Here we have got what HRMC website says :
"If you are not registered for VAT you can only use this service to notify HMRC of vehicles purchased from other EU Member States."

So I guess it was not lack of your computer skills 8-)
You were guided wrong.

Stefan

P.S. All documents (in case you can not use NOVA) should go to :

HM Revenue and Customs
NCH Car TEam
Ralli Quays
3 Stanley Street
Salford
M60 9HL
Grand Hiace V6 2001

stk0708

Postby stk0708 » 17 May 2015, 20:54

Few words from my experience.

1. Together with C384 you have to send C88/E2 import entry documentation which is quite tricky to fill up.
All paperwork can be send to the above address or you can email to ecsm.nchcars@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.

2. When my car has been unloaded at Southampton port I had free storage for first week.
Lack of any reaction in 7 days from NCH Car Team forced me to ask a custom agent to release the car.
I took J C SHIPPING SERVICES LIMITED john@jcshipping.co.uk. Highly recommended. It was just about £75 more on top of all charges. Very well spent money.
They did the job in few hours.
I was told that usually they are able to release a car next day after arriving.
A letter from NCH Car Team came when my Grand Hiace was already in front of my garage so I called them and said "All payment is already done, the car is in front of garage,
you can close the case" and I gave them a number C88 which John sent for me.

3. The car was delivered to my house by a man who drove it from Southampton on his trade plates. Another good choice. d.bucks@icloud.com
Very nice man as he collected for me wheels, which I bought from Sean, on his way to me 8-) .

4. About costs : I paid for the car (including shipping) USD3200 and I all cost to release the car from the port like VAT, Custom Duties etc. were £930.
Grand Hiace V6 2001

Return to “insurance, paper work and importing”