Granvia Cruising Selection 2wd

Questions about insurance, paper work, how to import and that type of thing
amermanz

Granvia Cruising Selection 2wd

Postby amermanz » 19 Dec 2008, 21:25

Hello All
i have been watching with interest over the last year the market and general information about Toyota Granvias. I must say that i have taken the plunge and bought one- picking it up this weekend!
I test drove 2 other MPVs before i decided on the granvia and here are my views of them

VW Caravelle T4 2003 2.5 tdi 102 bhp with A/c and airbags ( very rare spec) 150 k miles FSH and well maintained-- it drove like a tank /lorry and was horrible to handle and was strained at cruising speed to say the least . The gearbox was like a large ladle in a very large pot !
Mercedes V220 - 1999 with 100k - felt van-ish and very underpowered and again handled like a truck and felt vague

A 1997 granvia felt like a car and cruised happily and the spec and looks put the other 2 to shame!

i cant believe what passes for MPVs from the european manufacturers! ( no offence intended to the devoted VW and Merc fans )

Happy Xmas

Amermanz

lithgy

Re: Granvia Cruising Selection 2wd

Postby lithgy » 20 Aug 2009, 23:00

Hi, I hope my experience will be the same as I have just puchased a Granvia with 62K miles on the clock and looking in excellent condition. It is being fitted out as a campervan and I collect it in September.
Regards.

jimbo

Postby jimbo » 22 Aug 2009, 11:46

Hi and welcome to the site
The Granvia is a wise choice and you won't be disappointed.
I have a '95 Granvia converted to a camper. It is the 2.7 petrol and is converted to run on LPG. It is used as an everyday vehicle as well as for nights away. It is comfortable, quiet and cruises easily at 65/70mph.
Good luck and enjoy!

lithgy

Postby lithgy » 24 Aug 2009, 20:01

Hi Jimbo,
Thanks for your best wishes and I'll keep my eyes open for you when we do Lewis. Looking forward to collecting our Granvia.
Cheers
Lithgy

jimbo

Postby jimbo » 25 Aug 2009, 10:38

If ever you do get over to the island you would be more than welcome to look me up. All West of Scotland ferries are operated by Calmac and campervans up to 5m long are charged as a car - height does not matter. Another advantage of owning a Granvia!!

lithgy

Postby lithgy » 06 Oct 2009, 20:45

Hi Jimbo,

Collected my Granvia last week and have been checking and trying it out since then. Verdict - very impressed. It is faster than I expected and vey well finished. Looking forward to touring with it once I have found places for all my bits and pieces. Lives up to all your comments.
Cheers
Lithgy

BPeteB
Location: Shropshire - North Wales border. Poplar Motors High Top Conversion 3.0D

Postby BPeteB » 06 Jan 2012, 11:12

Hi, I'm a new boy & collect my 3.0 auto D next week. It is now a camper version with fixed high roof. I used to have a 2.5 D LWB T4 VW Caravelle which I converted myself to a camper. I too think the Granvia drives & handles better & has the benefit of a well proven (Although old) mechanics. I'm concerned about the MPG. The dealer assures me that with carefull non traffic driving I should reach 25 - 30 MPG. What's your experience so far?

daveveal

Postby daveveal » 06 Jan 2012, 19:12

I reckon 25 to 30 is a good estimate. I get about 26 to 28 around home.
Dave
R 613 PEL - 1998 2wd Diesel self-build camper. Pearl white over gold. New Forest, Hampshire

BPeteB
Location: Shropshire - North Wales border. Poplar Motors High Top Conversion 3.0D

Postby BPeteB » 23 Jan 2012, 20:06

Hi all, drove home on mixed hilly A roads & motorway for 105 miles on TomTom (100 on dash trip). With steady drive achieved 29 mpg. Now done another 75 miles on short local runs, filled up again & achieved 24 mpg. Within spec but not brilliant. Looking to see how the tuning box performs as mentioned on forum as I don't need the power. Have got used to backing off the throttle etc to keep in higher gear & free wheeling when possible to keep revs down. You can't labour the engine which on a manual box didn't help with mpg anyway. Luv driving the thing which is why I bought it & sold my T4 LWB. Just could do with an improvement on the mpg.

Return to “insurance, paper work and importing”